Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Usage of Calculus in Chemistry

1. Mar 27, 2010 #1
    Hi, I am a junior, currently writing a research paper on usage of calculus, especially differentiation, in chemistry. But I am having a lot of trouble trying to find sources. What are some good website sources for this topic?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2010 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Calculus in chemistry... Think quantum chemistry, thermodynamics, statistical mechanics.

--

4. Mar 27, 2010 #3
    Derivation of rate laws uses integration.

5. May 11, 2010 #4
    Borek: Can you give me specific process that involves calculus?
    Cesium: what is derivation of rate laws exactly?

Thanks!

6. May 11, 2010 #5

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

You're having trouble finding sources because you're looking in the wrong place (websites). Go to a library and check out a college-level physical chemistry textbook (e.g Engel and Reid). That should have all of the information you need.

7. May 11, 2010 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Relatively simple one: finding limiting current on spherical microelectrode during electrolysis.

8. May 11, 2010 #7
    Pressure of a gas in a gravitational field.

9. May 13, 2010 #8
    Plenty of uses.

Radiatiove decay, in order to know how much time it takes for a contaminated area to be safe.
    Chemical kinetics, used to predict a reaction's speed or to determine the mechanism of a reaction (especially in organic chemistry).
    Quantum mechanics, in which the use of calculus and differential equations (which is a tool completely based on calculus, anyway) determines the behavior of atoms and molecules.
    Many branches of physical chemistry use calculus as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook