Use of a non-inertial reference frame in a problem involving rotation?

In summary, the problem involves a rotating disk with a groove along the diameter in which two blocks of mass m and M slide without friction. The blocks are connected by a light string of length l and are initially held in place by a catch. When the catch is removed, the blocks will experience a radial acceleration. The two approaches to finding this acceleration are by considering centrifugal forces and using F=ma, or by using the equation a=ω^2r. Both methods are valid and equivalent.
serllus reuel

Homework Statement

A disk rotates with angular velocity ω. It has a groove cut along the diameter in which two blocks of mass m and M slide without friction. They are connected by a light string of length l, fixed by a catch with block m a distance r from the center (r + radius of M = l). The catch is then removed.
Find the initial radial acceleration of block m.

My ideal was to imagine a "centrifugal force" acting on each of the blocks. The magnitudes would then be mrω^2 and M(l-r)ω^2, from the formula for centripetal force. Then, I would treat the (rotating) diameter as an x-axis of sorts, thinking of the centrifugal forces as forces on the blocks, and using F=ma and the tension in the string to find the acceleration along the axis, which would turn out to be the radial acceleration.

Is this approach valid? Even if it is, is there an equivalent approach using only real forces? I have tried a few methods, but they generally simplify to the above method. Is there anything I have not thought of?

Finally, I want to note that this came up in the "Newton's laws" chapter of a book, so I really should be using real forces.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
hi serllus reuel! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
serllus reuel said:
My ideal was to imagine a "centrifugal force" acting on each of the blocks. The magnitudes would then be mrω^2 and M(l-r)ω^2, from the formula for centripetal force. Then, I would treat the (rotating) diameter as an x-axis of sorts, thinking of the centrifugal forces as forces on the blocks, and using F=ma and the tension in the string to find the acceleration along the axis, which would turn out to be the radial acceleration.

Is this approach valid?

yes :smile:

in that frame, the diameter is stationary, so just use F = ma in the usual way
Even if it is, is there an equivalent approach using only real forces?

yes, using a = ω2r :wink:

(in your first method, mω2r is on the LHS of F = ma as part of F; in the second method it's on the RHS, as part of ma)

tiny-tim said:
yes, using a = ω2r :wink:

(in your first method, mω2r is on the LHS of F = ma as part of F; in the second method it's on the RHS, as part of ma)

aha, I see.

thanks.

What is a non-inertial reference frame?

A non-inertial reference frame is a frame of reference that is accelerating or rotating. In contrast, an inertial reference frame is one that is not accelerating or rotating and follows Newton's laws of motion.

Why is the use of a non-inertial reference frame important in problems involving rotation?

In problems involving rotation, objects are often moving in circular or rotational motion, which means they are accelerating. In order to accurately describe and analyze this motion, a non-inertial reference frame must be used to account for the acceleration and rotation of the object.

What are some common examples of problems involving rotation that require the use of a non-inertial reference frame?

Some common examples include the motion of a spinning top, the Earth's rotation around its axis, and the motion of a satellite orbiting a planet.

What factors must be considered when using a non-inertial reference frame in a problem involving rotation?

When using a non-inertial reference frame, the forces acting on the object, such as centripetal force and Coriolis force, must be taken into account. Additionally, the acceleration and angular velocity of the reference frame itself must also be considered.

What are the limitations of using a non-inertial reference frame in problems involving rotation?

The use of a non-inertial reference frame can make calculations more complex and may not always accurately describe the motion of the object. It is important to carefully consider the specific problem and determine if a non-inertial reference frame is appropriate to use.