Use of potentials (electrodynamics, classical)

In summary, the conversation discusses a derivation using the vector potential A and a wave equation derived from the Lorentz gauge. The problem being addressed is a current sheet in the xy plane with current in the x direction, varying with time. The focus is on finding wave solutions propagating in the + and - z directions. The individual is having trouble understanding how the equation 6.46 leads to 6.47 and is seeking help with the boundary conditions problem.
bman!!
hello, I've just gone through a derivation using the vector potential A, and using the equation derived (a wave equation) which arises from using the lorentz gauge, it is applied to the problem of a current sheet in the xy plane, located at z=0 with current in the x direction only. the current varies with time so we are looking for wave solutions propagating in the + and - z directions.

Ive attached the relevant page (its not long at all), and basically my problem is simply: i understand pretty much everything up until equation 6.46, however, i cannot for the life of me understand how he gets to 6.47.

i know its probably something really simple, probably like a nifty application of the chain rule, but Id appreciate if someone could point out the elephant to me becuase i really can't see it and its annoying the hell out of me.

cheers

(im sure the answer will make me feel like an Rtard)

Attachments

• use of potentials-current sheet.JPG
    use of potentials-current sheet.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 409
Physics news on Phys.org
is the picture not working or something? its just a simple boundary (jump?) conditions problem. i say simple, I'm pretty terrible with jump conditions, so any help is really appreciated. this one step is driving me mad!

1. What are potentials in electrodynamics?

Potentials in electrodynamics refer to scalar and vector fields that are used to describe the electric and magnetic fields in space. These fields are called the electric potential and magnetic vector potential, respectively. They are mathematical tools used to simplify the calculation of the electric and magnetic fields in complex systems.

2. How are potentials related to electric and magnetic fields?

The electric and magnetic potentials are related to the electric and magnetic fields through mathematical equations. The electric potential is related to the electric field by the formula E = -∇Φ, where E represents the electric field, Φ is the electric potential, and ∇ is the gradient operator. Similarly, the magnetic vector potential is related to the magnetic field by the formula B = ∇ x A, where B is the magnetic field, A is the magnetic vector potential, and x represents the cross product.

3. What are the advantages of using potentials in electrodynamics?

Potentials offer several advantages in electrodynamics. They help to simplify calculations, especially in systems with complex geometries. They also allow for the separation of the electric and magnetic fields, making it easier to study their individual effects. Additionally, potentials can be used to solve boundary value problems and can be extended to include time-varying fields.

4. What are some applications of potentials in electrodynamics?

Potentials have a wide range of applications in electrodynamics. They are used in the design and analysis of electrical circuits, antennas, and electronic devices. They are also used in the study of electromagnetic waves and their propagation. Potentials are also crucial in the development of technologies such as wireless communication, radar, and satellite systems.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of potentials in electrodynamics?

While potentials are powerful tools in electrodynamics, they do have some limitations. They cannot fully describe electromagnetic phenomena in materials with nonlinear properties. Additionally, they cannot account for radiation fields, which require a different mathematical approach. Potentials are also limited in their ability to accurately predict high-frequency effects such as skin depth and skin effect in conductors.