Use the definition of the definite integral (with right hand rule) to evaluate

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
macilath
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Use the definition of the definite integral (with right hand rule) to evaluate the following integral from -3 to 2
[tex]\int(4x^2-9x+2)dx[/tex]

Homework Equations


[tex]\int[/tex] from a to b of f(x)dx = limit as [tex]n\rightarrow[/tex][tex]\infty[/tex] of [tex]\sum f(xi)\Deltax[/tex]. i = 1

The Attempt at a Solution


I found delta x = (b-a)/n, so delta x = 5/n.
Then,
limit as [tex]n\rightarrow[/tex][tex]\infty[/tex] of [tex]\sum (4(i/n)^2-9(i/n)+2)(5/n)[/tex].
I distributed the (5/n) out, and a little algebra later, got that
limit as [tex]n\rightarrow[/tex][tex]\infty[/tex] of [tex]\sum ((20i^2)/n^3)-(45i/n^2)+(10/n)[/tex].
This is where I get stuck, I'm not sure how to simplify this to evaluate the limit.

Thanks for any help!

Edit: Sorry for sloppy forum code. LaTEX is new to me.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming you've done all the math right up to this point, you just need some summation formulas to finish evaluating the integral.

∑ k = nk

∑ i = n(n+1)/2

∑ i2 = n(n+1)(2n+1)/6