1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use the definition of the definite integral (with right hand rule) to evaluate

1. Jul 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use the definition of the definite integral (with right hand rule) to evaluate the following integral from -3 to 2
    [tex]\int(4x^2-9x+2)dx[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\int[/tex] from a to b of f(x)dx = limit as [tex]n\rightarrow[/tex][tex]\infty[/tex] of [tex]\sum f(xi)\Deltax[/tex]. i = 1

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found delta x = (b-a)/n, so delta x = 5/n.
    Then,
    limit as [tex]n\rightarrow[/tex][tex]\infty[/tex] of [tex]\sum (4(i/n)^2-9(i/n)+2)(5/n)[/tex].
    I distributed the (5/n) out, and a little algebra later, got that
    limit as [tex]n\rightarrow[/tex][tex]\infty[/tex] of [tex]\sum ((20i^2)/n^3)-(45i/n^2)+(10/n)[/tex].
    This is where I get stuck, I'm not sure how to simplify this to evaluate the limit.

Thanks for any help!

Edit: Sorry for sloppy forum code. LaTEX is new to me.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2009 #2

jgens

Gold Member

Assuming you've done all the math right up to this point, you just need some summation formulas to finish evaluating the integral.

k = nk

i = n(n+1)/2

i2 = n(n+1)(2n+1)/6

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook