1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Useful Raising/Lowering Operator Equation, Quick derivation help

1. Oct 4, 2007 #1
    Problem

Show that,

[tex]a (a^{ \dagger})^{n} = n (a^{\dagger})^{n-1}+(a^{\dagger})^{n} a[/tex]

Formulae

[tex] a = \sqrt{\frac{m \omega}{2 \hbar}}(x+\frac{\imath p}{m \omega})[/tex]

[tex] a^{\dagger} = \sqrt{\frac{m \omega}{2 \hbar}}(x-\frac{\imath p}{m \omega})[/tex]

[tex] [a,a^{\dagger}]= a a^{\dagger}-a^{\dagger}a=1[/tex]

Attempt

This is just one step in a long derivation from another problem. The author (Goswami, pg 147) uses it without proof, but I would like to modify it – and hence I need to understand where he got it from.

I can see how you might pull [tex] a^{\dagger}[/tex]’s out from the first and third term, and try to use the commutation relation, but the n’s don’t seem to work out right.

Any thoughts?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The formula you are trying to prove is the same as [a,(a^+)^n]=n*(a^+)^(n-1), right? For any three operators A,B and C we know [A,BC]=[A,B]C+B[A,C]. This looks like the product rule for differentiation with [A, acting like a derivative. You can extend this to any number of operators, [A,BCDEF...]. So what does this say about [A,B^n] when [A,B]=1? BTW I think [a,a^+]=1, not the order you wrote.

4. Oct 4, 2007 #3
    Ah, I didn't think to look up some commutator identities. And, yes, we proved the differentiation/commutation relationship last homework assignment. Right, I'll try it again. Thanks.

5. Oct 4, 2007 #4
    So then,

[tex][a^{2}, (a^{\dagger})^{n}] = a [a, (a^{\dagger})^{n}]+[a, (a^{\dagger})^{n}]a= a n (a^{\dagger})^{n-1} + n (a^{\dagger})^{n-1} a[/tex]

Consider,

[tex]|n>=\frac{1}{\sqrt{n!}}(a^{\dagger})^{n}|0>[/tex]

where

[tex]a|0>=0[/tex]

then,

[tex]a^{2}|n>=\frac{1}{\sqrt{n!}}a^{2}( a^{\dagger})^{n}|0> [/tex]
    [tex]= \frac{1}{\sqrt{n!}}( a n (a^{\dagger})^{n-1} + n (a^{\dagger})^{n-1} a
    )| 0>[/tex]
    [tex]= \frac{1}{\sqrt{n!}} a n (a^{\dagger})^{n-1}| 0>[/tex]
    [tex]=\frac{1}{\sqrt{n!}} n (n-1) (a^{\dagger})^{n-2}|0>[/tex]
    [tex]= \sqrt {n (n-1)} |n-2>[/tex]

I know that I may have not provided enough of a primer in the problem to have anyone check this, but just puttin’ it out there!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?