Useless fact of the day

• Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
Did you know that according to the measured mass of the dime and the quarter, which are 2.268 g and 5.670 g, respectively, they have the exact same mass/value ratio?

Answers and Replies

Good to know. But we all know quarters are more valuable to anyone living in a big city ;).

There are 435 members of the house of representatives with a theoretical turnover rate of 100% every two years, yet the public complains they are not representing them and re-elects them at an average rate of 90%.

Ben Niehoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Did you know that according to the measured mass of the dime and the quarter, which are 2.268 g and 5.670 g, respectively, they have the exact same mass/value ratio?
There's a perfectly logical explanation. They were originally made of an amount of silver equal to their face value. When the value of currency changed too much for this to be practical, they continued to be made in the same sizes, but out of nickel.

There are 435 members of the house of representatives with a theoretical turnover rate of 100% every two years, yet the public complains they are not representing them and re-elects them at an average rate of 90%.
It's called democracy, universally reviled in this country.

It's called democracy, universally reviled in this country.
Exactly, democracy is a useless fact.

brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Same as ours. In fact, our £10 coin weighs over 40kg.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Clearly the public only complains about 434 representitives, 90% of the time. :biggrin:

Clearly the public only complains about 434 representitives, 90% of the time. :biggrin:
No, that's the beauty of democracy. People will complain about even the politicians they vote for, then re-elect them. Its like watching a junkie stick a needle in his arm, and then complain the stuff is killing them.

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
No, that's the beauty of democracy. People will complain about even the politicians they vote for, then re-elect them. Its like watching a junkie stick a needle in his arm, and then complain the stuff is killing them.
Sounds like we are addicted to good government. Compared to alot of places at least...

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
On three-head reel-to-reel recorders, a small piece of photographic film placed over the erase head before stringing the tape, allows one to overdub.

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Did you know that my regular quiz team ended at fourth place yesterday evening?

Out of four competing teams...:cry:

Sounds like we are addicted to good government. Compared to alot of places at least...
That's what all addicts say until they get a bad fix, can't find a fix, or their whole world starts falling apart some other way.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
That's what all addicts say until they get a bad fix, can't find a fix, or their whole world starts falling apart some other way.
I've written two viewer comments to CNN and one made it on the air. It was this:

If the politicians we elect did what we want them to do, they could never get reelected.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Always oil your green weenie

...air filter.

I've written two viewer comments to CNN and one made it on the air. It was this:

If the politicians we elect did what we want them to do, they could never get reelected.

Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
On three-head reel-to-reel recorders, a small piece of photographic film placed over the erase head before stringing the tape, allows one to overdub.
How is this a useless fact? Stay on topic, please!

Do you know how hard it is to find blank reel to reel tapes? Overdubbing is a great way to record new stuff without losing the old stuff!

Now if I could just design a sound filter that would let me listen to the Hindenberg disaster without having to listen to Bob Newhart jokes at the same time. What a strange effect that is! What was I thinking?!

Caligynephobia is a fear of beautiful women.

I have this :frown:

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
How is this a useless fact? Stay on topic, please!

Do you know how hard it is to find blank reel to reel tapes? Overdubbing is a great way to record new stuff without losing the old stuff!

Now if I could just design a sound filter that would let me listen to the Hindenberg disaster without having to listen to Bob Newhart jokes at the same time. What a strange effect that is! What was I thinking?!
We are dating ourselves. But Newhart tapes - man you must be reeeeeeally old! :biggrin: Do you have a four or two-channel recorder?

On a three-head machine, if you run the aux out from channel 1 to the aux in on channel 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 4, and then 4 back to 1, and enable sound-on-sound, you get a nice echo effect when recording.

Last edited:
Caligynephobia is a fear of beautiful women.

I have this :frown:
I don't. That's why I have uxarphobia, fear of one's wife barging in.

IMP
Useful tip of the day:

Never hold a cat and a Dustbuster at the same time...

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Useful tip of the day:

Never hold a cat and a Dustbuster at the same time...
LOL! You made me spit my coffee all over my computer! :grumpy:

turbo
Gold Member
When my cousin's daughter (elementary school or 7th grade, IIR) had to learn to spell the word "sabotage", I told her that workers protesting the industrial revolution in France would surreptitiously make sure that a wooden shoe (sabot) got introduced into the (wooden) gears with hand-carved cog-teeth and wreck them. She got a kick out of that and told her friends. I know because I got comments from a couple of her friends' parents.

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
What kind of comments turbo?

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
My daughter was told to write "I will not chew gum in class" 500 times or something like that. I've always thought that was always a really lame punishment and she was learning to type, so I made up some various ways to say she wasn't going to chew gum in class and she had to type each of them a certain number of times (I certainly wasn't going to come up with 500 unique ways to say I won't chew gum in class).

I wasn't sure how my daughter's teacher would take me modifying the punishment that way, but I figured I'd talk with her if there were a problem. It turned out the teacher thought what I did was hilarious - especially all the different ways I'd come up with for not chewing gum in class (I needed to make sure the words covered the entire alphabet, so some of the sentences were rather creative).

What I did made such an impression that the next boy in class to be caught chewing gum had to write "I will not masticate in class" 500 times.

He was obviously very offended at having to type that 500 times and the incident turned into a very heated meeting between the teacher, the principal, and the boy's parents with the parents practically demanding the teacher's firing.

Well, at least until they heard what the boy was actually supposed to type. What's masticate mean, again? Uh, never mind. :redface: