Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Useless fact of the day

1. Aug 30, 2011 #1
    Did you know that according to the measured mass of the dime and the quarter, which are 2.268 g and 5.670 g, respectively, they have the exact same mass/value ratio?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2011 #2
    Good to know. But we all know quarters are more valuable to anyone living in a big city ;).

4. Aug 30, 2011 #3
    There are 435 members of the house of representatives with a theoretical turnover rate of 100% every two years, yet the public complains they are not representing them and re-elects them at an average rate of 90%.

5. Aug 30, 2011 #4

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's a perfectly logical explanation. They were originally made of an amount of silver equal to their face value. When the value of currency changed too much for this to be practical, they continued to be made in the same sizes, but out of nickel.

6. Aug 30, 2011 #5
    It's called democracy, universally reviled in this country.

7. Aug 30, 2011 #6
    Exactly, democracy is a useless fact.

8. Aug 30, 2011 #7

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Same as ours. In fact, our £10 coin weighs over 40kg.

9. Aug 30, 2011 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Clearly the public only complains about 434 representitives, 90% of the time. :biggrin:

10. Aug 30, 2011 #9
    No, that's the beauty of democracy. People will complain about even the politicians they vote for, then re-elect them. Its like watching a junkie stick a needle in his arm, and then complain the stuff is killing them.

11. Aug 30, 2011 #10

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Sounds like we are addicted to good government. Compared to alot of places at least...

12. Aug 31, 2011 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

On three-head reel-to-reel recorders, a small piece of photographic film placed over the erase head before stringing the tape, allows one to overdub.

13. Aug 31, 2011 #12

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Did you know that my regular quiz team ended at fourth place yesterday evening?

Out of four competing teams...:cry:

14. Aug 31, 2011 #13
    That's what all addicts say until they get a bad fix, can't find a fix, or their whole world starts falling apart some other way.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  15. Aug 31, 2011 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've written two viewer comments to CNN and one made it on the air. It was this:

If the politicians we elect did what we want them to do, they could never get reelected.

16. Aug 31, 2011 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Always oil your green weenie

...air filter.

17. Aug 31, 2011 #16

Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?

18. Aug 31, 2011 #17

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How is this a useless fact? Stay on topic, please!

Do you know how hard it is to find blank reel to reel tapes? Overdubbing is a great way to record new stuff without losing the old stuff!

Now if I could just design a sound filter that would let me listen to the Hindenberg disaster without having to listen to Bob Newhart jokes at the same time. What a strange effect that is! What was I thinking?!

19. Aug 31, 2011 #18
    Caligynephobia is a fear of beautiful women.

I have this :frown:

20. Aug 31, 2011 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We are dating ourselves. But Newhart tapes - man you must be reeeeeeally old! :biggrin: Do you have a four or two-channel recorder?

On a three-head machine, if you run the aux out from channel 1 to the aux in on channel 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 4, and then 4 back to 1, and enable sound-on-sound, you get a nice echo effect when recording.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  21. Aug 31, 2011 #20
    I don't. That's why I have uxarphobia, fear of one's wife barging in.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook