Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

User friendly circuit schematic software

1. Apr 4, 2013 #1
    Hello,

I am wondering if there is any free circuit schematic software that is pretty basic and easy to use. I just need it to draw capacitors, resistors, inductors, and batteries so I can have drawings of circuits for when I have homework questions on this page to ask so I have a reference diagram. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2013 #2
    Xcircuit is the standard but it isn't user friendly. Do you have access to Microsoft Visio? It has a template for electronics that is very useful.

4. Apr 4, 2013 #3
    This is not particularly a plug, although I do use these guys to make PCBs even though they are a bit more expensive than the general lowball prices...but...
    expressPCB has free schematic and layout software that is not terribly hard to use. The only downside is that it produces proprietary output files. However there are options to export images of schematics and boards as well as a mechanical DXF file of the layout: http://www.expresspcb.com/

5. Apr 4, 2013 #4
    Two web-based options are CircuitLab or SchemeIt. They check all your boxes, and have good export options. They also produce better looking graphics than the other suggestions in this thread, imo. Disclaimer: I'd rather jump off a cliff than draw schematics in Visio.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  6. Apr 4, 2013 #5

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I loved DCCAD.

Trouble is it's DOS based and I cant make it go on any windows newer than '95.

And its output file is in HP LaserJet commands so you have to print it on one of those and scan it...
    For old dogs like me who don't adapt to new tricks , it's worth keeping a DOS system and LaserJet running.

But my last laserjet has given up the e-ghost...

7. Apr 4, 2013 #6
    LTSPICE - every EE should have this loaded. As for homework - you can not just draw them - run the simulation....

8. Apr 5, 2013 #7
    I'm using for a while the free version of Eagle. This version has the limitations listed below (taken from download page of the free version http://www.cadsoftusa.com/download-eagle/freeware/?language=en):

Limitations

The following limitations apply to the EAGLE Light Edition in general:

The useable board area is limited to 100 x 80 mm (4 x 3.2 inches).
    Only two signal layers can be used (Top and Bottom).
    The schematic editor can only create one sheet.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook