Can 3D Interactivity Enhance PF with Wolfram Cloud?

• Thread starter aheight
  • Start date
In summary, the image appears as a static image that is replaced by a small red box with a light red interior when the image is finished loading.
aheight
Hi guys,

I've be wondering how we can achieve 3D interactivity in PF. Perhaps Wolfram cloud is a way. In the link below, I created half of a 3D plot and deployed it to the Wolfram cloud. The software is in its initial phase with some issues but it's a start. It initially loads with a red background (a Mathematica error state) with and x and y control. Do not click on the controls. Nevertheless, but then if you give it a few seconds more,click on the image itself, maybe a few times until the red rectangle appears around the plot, then you can use the mouse to rotate it and use the controls on the rectangle to scale it.

If we could get a nicer interface, 3D interactivity would be a nice addition to PF don't you guys think?

https://www.wolframcloud.com/objects/0a8dd84f-e97f-4fdc-8341-5ef98770bfec

Physics news on Phys.org
I get nothing but a static image no matter how many times I click.

I can click it 3 times at three different places on the plot, then a darker rectangle appears around the plot with small block controls at the corners and midway on the lines, at that point, I can then press down on the left mouse button over the plot and rotate it as I move my mouse. Is that not the case with you?

phinds said:

Ok phinds. There may be an issue with permissions. It's in it's early stage of development. Maybe you need Mathematica on your machine to get it to work as I do. That wouldn't do of course but maybe not. Not sure. I'll look into it further.

aheight said:
There may be an issue with permissions.
Yeah, it's static for me too. When I go up a level and try to get back down into images, it asks me to log in...

Hi guys,

I see I'm still having problems when I go to another PC and try to view them. I cannot.

This one below, I'll use to help me troubleshoot the problem with the Wolfram guys.

https://www.wolframcloud.com/objects/4bbfa470-6a52-4aec-8303-6e132de01ac8

and this one is with "all" permissions:

https://www.wolframcloud.com/objects/ae4efb12-0a7c-4a37-b86a-b8cc2fdc372e

Last edited:
I get a graph that loads immediately, stays for a fraction of a second, then disappears permanently.

phinds said:
I get a graph that loads immediately, stays for a fraction of a second, then disappears permanently.

Yes, I get the same thing when I go to another machine and try to access the plot. I'll see if the Wolfram guys can help me with it.

aheight said:
Yes, I get the same thing when I go to another machine and try to access the plot. I'll see if the Wolfram guys can help me with it.
Good. Please do better debugging before posting again.

I have made progress in this matter: the inability for other users to interact with my cloud data has to do with "cloud credit". Apparently, the owner of the file needs credits for other to view and execute Mathematica HTML files. One way to debug is for me to log out of the cloud and then try to access the file. My lack of familiarity with the software prevents me from knowing precisely what sort of credits I have and I have been working with the Wolfram group. I am able to log out and still access for example this file which is sin(xy) on another computer so perhaps it's working now. Might someone try this and let me know if you can rotate it with the mouse? Give it say 5 seconds to load, a blue bar appears on top of the screen showing loading and then disappears when finished and since rotating consumes credits, and I do not yet understand what I have, at some point I assume they will be extinguished and no longer allow others to interact with the plot.

https://www.wolframcloud.com/objects/0c9c7471-477a-4e13-aa0a-9000d08a9f58

aheight said:
Give it say 5 seconds to load, a blue bar appears on top of the screen showing loading and then disappears when finished.
The image disappears as well when finished. It is replaced by a small red box with a light red interior.

Edit: After multiple tries I get a rotatable graph.

mfb said:
The image disappears as well when finished. It is replaced by a small red box with a light red interior.

Edit: After multiple tries I get a rotatable graph.

I find you have to give it time to load, takes about 5-7 seconds for the blue loading bar to disappear when I log into PF from another PC and click on it.

aheight said:
I find you have to give it time to load, takes about 5-7 seconds for the blue loading bar to disappear when I log into PF from another PC and click on it.
For me the graph appears instantly and disappears almost as quickly and does not come back after 30 seconds of waiting. This is getting to be a joke.

phinds said:
For me the graph appears instantly and disappears almost as quickly and does not come back after 30 seconds of waiting. This is getting to be a joke.

I can reproduce the failure (plot disappears and the red box shows up) in the Microsoft Edge browser but Chrome, Explorer and FireFox seem to work ok. Are you using Edge to view the plot? If so, this may be a browser issue that can be fixed.

aheight said:
I can reproduce the failure (plot disappears and the red box shows up) in the Microsoft Edge browser but Chrome, Explorer and FireFox seem to work ok. Are you using Edge to view the plot? If so, this may be a browser issue that can be fixed.
I'm using FireFox

phinds said:
I'm using FireFox

Ok, would you mind trying to refresh the screen after you get the red box and let me know if it works so I can report it to Wolfram? I've noticed when I get the box and then hit the refresh screen, the plot appears and I can rotate it.

Initially, when I follow the link in post #12 in Firefox v55, a static image appears almost immediately (there is no blue progress bar), but a short while after, the image vanishes and a small pink box appears. Mousing over the pink box gives the pop-up error message "Error: e is null".

However, if I open the link using Firefox's "Private Window", it begins the same as above, but instead of the pink box I get the 3D image that I can rotate with the mouse. This is also what I get in Internet Explorer v11 (not "InPrivate Browsing").

After trying all the above, I went back to retry my first method via Firefox (that had failed several times) and this time it worked.

aheight said:
Ok, would you mind trying to refresh the screen after you get the red box and let me know if it works so I can report it to Wolfram? I've noticed when I get the box and then hit the refresh screen, the plot appears and I can rotate it.
This time it worked fine from the start. Image popped up immediately and was rotateable almost immediately

Link in Post #12 works fine here with a very old Firefox 18.0.2.4780 (early 2013). Great Idea!

1. How does 3D interactivity enhance user experience in PF?

3D interactivity allows users to view and interact with three-dimensional images and objects in a more realistic and immersive way. This enhances user experience by providing a more engaging and interactive platform for understanding complex data and concepts in PF.

2. What are some common applications of 3D interactivity in PF?

Some common applications of 3D interactivity in PF include visualizing complex molecular structures, simulating fluid dynamics, and creating interactive models of biological systems. It can also be used to create virtual environments for training and education purposes in the field of PF.

3. How is 3D interactivity implemented in PF?

3D interactivity in PF is typically implemented using specialized software and tools such as computer-aided design (CAD) programs or interactive visualization software. These programs allow scientists to create and manipulate 3D models and simulations, which can then be shared with others through various platforms.

4. What are the advantages of using 3D interactivity in PF?

The use of 3D interactivity in PF has several advantages, including improved understanding and analysis of complex data, enhanced collaboration and communication among scientists, and the ability to simulate and test hypotheses in a more interactive and realistic manner.

5. Are there any limitations to using 3D interactivity in PF?

While 3D interactivity has many benefits, it also has some limitations. Creating and manipulating 3D models can be time-consuming and require specialized skills and software. Additionally, the accuracy and reliability of the models and simulations can be affected by the quality of the input data and the assumptions made during the creation process.