Using a potentiometer to constrain voltage between -9 and 9V

In summary, to get a negative voltage relative to the centre point of two batteries, you would use a voltage divider with two resistors, one on each side of the battery.
dadadeee23
I am stumped on a problem I have been working on. I am told to build a circuit that will have an output voltage between -9 and 9V.

We are given two 12 V batteries as power sources, and a choice between 3 potentiometers with values of 10k ohm, 20k ohm, and 50k ohm. We are allowed to use any resistor within the range of 10 ohms to 100Mohms.

How the heck to I use the potentiometer to get a negative voltage? I used voltage division to get a resistor value for a positive 9 volts. I'm stumped

Engineering news on Phys.org
hi there
welcome to PF

if you connect the 2 12V batteries in series, then you can produce a -12V, 0V and +12V rails

attachment.php?attachmentid=58901&stc=1&d=1369116474.gif

now figure out how you will drop it to + and - 9V :)

Dave

Attachments

• batts.GIF
    batts.GIF
    1.4 KB · Views: 1,444
so I need to add my potentiometer and resistor. If I put them in series and leave R as a variable setting it equal to 9V, I can solve for the resistance? I chose the 10k pot first, and I calculated using voltage division, the resistance to be 3333.33 ohms. Does this sound right?

No, you would need two resistors with a pot between them. You are almost right though.

This is to get the positive and negative 9 volts relative to the centre point of the two batteries.

okay, so I think I see what your saying. I would use the same valued resistor on the opposite side (relative to the center pt of 0V) which would be my voltage divider for the -12V. I am a little confused on how that battery is producing a negative voltage though. Should I switch the polarity of the bottom one? I guess from KVL that would give me a negative voltage.

If you measure relative to the junction of the two batteries, the other terminal of the lower battery is negative 12 volts.

That is all they mean.

1. What is a potentiometer?

A potentiometer is an electronic component that allows you to adjust and control the voltage or current in a circuit. It consists of a resistive track and a sliding contact, which can be moved along the track to vary the output voltage.

2. How does a potentiometer work?

A potentiometer works by using the principle of potential difference. When the sliding contact is moved along the resistive track, it changes the amount of resistance in the circuit, which in turn changes the output voltage. This allows you to adjust the voltage within a specific range, such as between -9 and 9V.

3. What is the purpose of constraining voltage with a potentiometer?

The purpose of constraining voltage with a potentiometer is to provide a precise and adjustable voltage output within a specific range. This can be useful in various electronic devices and circuits, such as volume controls in audio equipment or dimmer switches in lighting systems.

4. How do you set up a potentiometer to constrain voltage between -9 and 9V?

To set up a potentiometer to constrain voltage between -9 and 9V, you will need to connect the two outer terminals of the potentiometer to the positive and negative ends of your circuit, and the middle terminal to the input or output of your circuit. Then, use a multimeter to measure the voltage and adjust the sliding contact of the potentiometer until you reach the desired voltage within the range of -9 and 9V.

5. Are there any limitations to using a potentiometer to constrain voltage?

Yes, there are limitations to using a potentiometer to constrain voltage. One limitation is that the output voltage may not be completely stable, as it can be affected by changes in temperature or wear and tear on the resistive track. Additionally, potentiometers have a limited range of adjustment, so you may not be able to achieve a voltage output beyond the range of the potentiometer.