Using Algebraic Manipulation to evaluate a limit

In summary: But if you want to use the factoring you've done, then note that x(x+5)+2 = x^2+5x+2.So you have limx→3 (x2+5x+2) ÷ (x2-6x+9) = limx→3 (x^2+5x+2) ÷ (x-3)^2.Now you CAN factor the numerator, so do that.Note that if you cancel the x-3 from the top and bottom, you get your original expression again, so you won't be able to use that to evaluate the limit.In summary, the limit of (x2+5x+2) ÷
EcKoh

Homework Statement

limx→3 (x2+5x+2) ÷ x2-6x+92. The attempt at a solution

You cannot solve through direct substitution because the denominator comes out to equal 0, and you cannot divide by 0. Thus, I factored the lower terms to reach the following:

(x-3)2 or (x-3)(x-3).

However, to my knowledge I cannot do this to the numerator, as ±1 & ±2 do not add up to 5 in any way, shape, or form. As such, I manipulated (x2+5x+2) into the following:

x(x+5)+2

But I am not sure where to go from here as the denominator still adds up to 0, and I am not sure of how to simplify any further. As of right now I have:

x(x+5)+2 ÷ (x-3)(x-3)

Physics news on Phys.org
Try dividing the numerator and denominator by x^2 after dividing the polynomial.

EcKoh said:

Homework Statement

limx→3 (x2+5x+2) ÷ x2-6x+9

2. The attempt at a solution

You cannot solve through direct substitution because the denominator comes out to equal 0, and you cannot divide by 0. Thus, I factored the lower terms to reach the following:

(x-3)2 or (x-3)(x-3).

However, to my knowledge I cannot do this to the numerator, as ±1 & ±2 do not add up to 5 in any way, shape, or form. As such, I manipulated (x2+5x+2) into the following:

x(x+5)+2

But I am not sure where to go from here as the denominator still adds up to 0, and I am not sure of how to simplify any further. As of right now I have:

x(x+5)+2 ÷ (x-3)(x-3)
I assume you mean that you're trying to find limx→3 (x2+5x+2) ÷ (x2-6x+9). (The parentheses are important.)

Usually, one simply observes that as x→3, the numerator → 2 and the denominator → 0 (from the positive side) so that the limit is +∞ .

Last edited:

1. What is algebraic manipulation?

Algebraic manipulation is the process of rearranging algebraic expressions to simplify them or to find a specific value or variable.

2. How can algebraic manipulation be used to evaluate a limit?

Algebraic manipulation can be used to simplify the expression of a limit and eliminate any undefined terms, making it easier to evaluate the limit.

3. What are some common algebraic manipulation techniques used to evaluate limits?

Some common techniques include factoring, expanding, canceling, and using algebraic identities such as the difference of squares or the sum/difference of cubes.

4. Can algebraic manipulation always be used to evaluate limits?

No, there are limits that cannot be evaluated using algebraic manipulation alone. Some limits require more advanced techniques such as L'Hôpital's rule or the squeeze theorem.

5. Are there any tips for using algebraic manipulation to evaluate limits?

Yes, it is important to carefully consider the properties of limits and to be familiar with algebraic identities and techniques. It is also helpful to check your work by plugging in values and using a graphing calculator.