Using Centripetal Forces to find the radius of a circle

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the radius of a circle formed by a 100g rock attached to a 1.0m rope and spun around with a period of rotation of 1.0s. The equations used include Fc = (mV^2) / r, V= (2∏r/T), and LCosθ = r. Through similar triangles and equating side-length ratios, the radius is determined to be 0.97m.
QuickSkope

Homework Statement

A 100g (0.1kg) rock is attatched to a 1.0m rope and spun around in a circle with a period of rotation of 1.0s. What is the Radius of the circle that it forms?

Homework Equations

Fc = (mV^2) / r
V= (2∏r/T)
LCosθ = r

The Attempt at a Solution

Im quite stick here, as I am not sure how I could ever find r without knowing the θ of the circle.

First thing I tried was making a triangle like so:

Illustration in 2D

Im going to start with the simple equation TCosθ = Fc. We also know that (mV^2)/r = Fc. If you put those 2 equations together, you get TCosθ = (mV^2)/r. This leaves us with the equation:

TCosθ = (mV^2)/ r

Furthurmore, we know that V = 2πr/P (Where P is period, should normally be T but there's Tension in this equation, so ill just do P)

TCosθ = m (2πr/P)^2 / r

The period of rotation is 1, so the equation simplifies again to:

TCosθ = m (2πr)^2 / r

We can also sub r into the formula we just moved in.

TCosθ = m (2π (Cosθ)^2) / Cosθ

From here, we can make the equation:

T = (m (2π) ^2 * (Cosθ)^2) / (Cosθ)^2 (Correct? I am not sure if that's logical)

Now the (Cosθ)^2 can cancel out, making:

T = m (2π)^2

Sub in the values, we have T = (0.1)(2π)^2
= 0.4π^2

We now know Tension, Which we can use in the triangle.

Triangle illustration

If I use Sin, I can find that the angle is 14.37321*.

We can use this θ in the equation LCosθ = r
(1)(Cos14.37321) = r
r = 0.97 m.

Is that correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your method and result look fine.

Note that you might consider the problem in terms of similar triangles (I know, geometry was a looong time ago :smile:).

attachment.php?attachmentid=57981&stc=1&d=1366247405.gif

Consider the ratio ##g/a_c##...

You can use the rotational motion form for centripetal acceleration, ##a_c = ω^2 r##, where ##ω = 2\pi/T##. A little algebra and you can find an expression for r that does not require sines or cosines.

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 613
gneill said:
Your method and result look fine.

Note that you might consider the problem in terms of similar triangles (I know, geometry was a looong time ago :smile:).

attachment.php?attachmentid=57981&stc=1&d=1366247405.gif

Consider the ratio ##g/a_c##...

You can use the rotational motion form for centripetal acceleration, ##a_c = ω^2 r##, where ##ω = 2\pi/T##. A little algebra and you can find an expression for r that does not require sines or cosines.

Do you mind explaining that a little? I'd like to check my answer, as I think 0.97m is a little large for the radius concidering you only make a full turn per minute. Or if you could do the math for this perticular situation and make sure it comes out correct, that would be awesome. Its for marks, so I just don't want to get it wrong.

Last edited:
QuickSkope said:
Do you mind explaining that a little? I'd like to check my answer, as I think 0.97m is a little large for the radius concidering you only make a full turn per minute. Or if you could do the math for this perticular situation and make sure it comes out correct, that would be awesome. Its for marks, so I just don't want to get it wrong.

The problem says that the period of rotation is 1 second, not 1 minute. So ω is ##2\pi/1sec##.

L is the length of the rope. r is the resulting radius of the circle that the mass follows at one revolution per second. ##a_c## is the centripetal acceleration acting on the rotating mass. g is the gravitational acceleration. You should be able to pick out similar triangles in the diagram. Equate the side-length ratios.

Yea, sorry you're right. 1 second.

Ohh, so the Theta in both Triangle Ac/g and Lr are the same, correct? So you can equate the two, like this?

Tanθ = g/ac
Tanθ = √1^2 - r^2

g/ac = √ 1-r^2

g/ (2π)^2 = √ 1-r^2

(9.8 / (2π^2)) ^ 2 = 1-r^2

r^2 = 1 - (9.8 / (2π^2)) ^ 2

r^2 = .938

r= .969

Thats what I get when I do similar triangles, which I am 99% sure isn't right. Is the g (.1)(9.8) or mg, or is it just 9.8?

Last edited:
QuickSkope said:
is the g (.1)(9.8) or mg, or is it just 9.8?
It's g, not mg. The mass canceled out.

Alright, so that makes both of them the same answer :). I end up with 0.97. Can someone do it and verify that that is right?

QuickSkope said:
Alright, so that makes both of them the same answer :). I end up with 0.97. Can someone do it and verify that that is right?

I agree with .97

Great, thanks :D

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, directed towards the center of the circle. It is responsible for keeping the object in its circular motion.

2. How is centripetal force related to the radius of a circle?

The centripetal force is directly proportional to the square of the velocity and inversely proportional to the radius of the circle. This means that as the radius of the circle increases, the centripetal force decreases and vice versa.

3. How can centripetal force be used to find the radius of a circle?

By knowing the mass and velocity of an object moving in a circular path, we can calculate the centripetal force using the formula F = mv²/r. Then, by rearranging the formula to solve for r, we can find the radius of the circle.

4. What are the units of centripetal force?

The units of centripetal force are Newtons (N), which is the unit of force in the International System of Units (SI). It is equivalent to kg⋅m/s².

5. Can centripetal force be used to find the radius of any circle?

Yes, as long as we have the required information (mass, velocity, and centripetal force), we can use the formula F = mv²/r to find the radius of any circle. This applies to any object moving in a circular path, whether it is a small object like a ball or a large object like a planet.