1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Centripetal Forces to find the radius of a circle

1. Apr 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 100g (0.1kg) rock is attatched to a 1.0m rope and spun around in a circle with a period of rotation of 1.0s. What is the Radius of the circle that it forms?

2. Relevant equations

Fc = (mV^2) / r
    V= (2∏r/T)
    LCosθ = r

3. The attempt at a solution

Im quite stick here, as Im not sure how I could ever find r without knowing the θ of the circle.

First thing I tried was making a triangle like so:

Illustration in 2D

Im going to start with the simple equation TCosθ = Fc. We also know that (mV^2)/r = Fc. If you put those 2 equations together, you get TCosθ = (mV^2)/r. This leaves us with the equation:

TCosθ = (mV^2)/ r

Furthurmore, we know that V = 2πr/P (Where P is period, should normally be T but theres Tension in this equation, so ill just do P)

TCosθ = m (2πr/P)^2 / r

The period of rotation is 1, so the equation simplifies again to:

TCosθ = m (2πr)^2 / r

We can also sub r in to the formula we just moved in.

TCosθ = m (2π (Cosθ)^2) / Cosθ

From here, we can make the equation:

T = (m (2π) ^2 * (Cosθ)^2) / (Cosθ)^2 (Correct? Im not sure if thats logical)

Now the (Cosθ)^2 can cancel out, making:

T = m (2π)^2

Sub in the values, we have T = (0.1)(2π)^2
    = 0.4π^2

We now know Tension, Which we can use in the triangle.

Triangle illustration

If I use Sin, I can find that the angle is 14.37321*.

We can use this θ in the equation LCosθ = r
    (1)(Cos14.37321) = r
    r = 0.97 m.

Is that correct?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2013 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Your method and result look fine.

Note that you might consider the problem in terms of similar triangles (I know, geometry was a looong time ago :smile:).

attachment.php?attachmentid=57981&stc=1&d=1366247405.gif

Consider the ratio ##g/a_c##...

You can use the rotational motion form for centripetal acceleration, ##a_c = ω^2 r##, where ##ω = 2\pi/T##. A little algebra and you can find an expression for r that does not require sines or cosines.

Attached Files:

4. Apr 17, 2013 #3
    Do you mind explaining that a little? I'd like to check my answer, as I think 0.97m is a little large for the radius concidering you only make a full turn per minute. Or if you could do the math for this perticular situation and make sure it comes out correct, that would be awesome. Its for marks, so I just dont want to get it wrong.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  5. Apr 17, 2013 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The problem says that the period of rotation is 1 second, not 1 minute. So ω is ##2\pi/1sec##.

L is the length of the rope. r is the resulting radius of the circle that the mass follows at one revolution per second. ##a_c## is the centripetal acceleration acting on the rotating mass. g is the gravitational acceleration. You should be able to pick out similar triangles in the diagram. Equate the side-length ratios.

6. Apr 17, 2013 #5
    Yea, sorry you're right. 1 second.

Ohh, so the Theta in both Triangle Ac/g and Lr are the same, correct? So you can equate the two, like this?

Tanθ = g/ac
    Tanθ = √1^2 - r^2

g/ac = √ 1-r^2

g/ (2π)^2 = √ 1-r^2

(9.8 / (2π^2)) ^ 2 = 1-r^2

r^2 = 1 - (9.8 / (2π^2)) ^ 2

r^2 = .938

r= .969

Thats what I get when I do similar triangles, which Im 99% sure isnt right. Is the g (.1)(9.8) or mg, or is it just 9.8?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  7. Apr 18, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's g, not mg. The mass cancelled out.

8. Apr 18, 2013 #7
    Alright, so that makes both of them the same answer :). I end up with 0.97. Can someone do it and verify that that is right?

9. Apr 18, 2013 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I agree with .97

10. Apr 18, 2013 #9
    Great, thanks :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted