Using double in tegrals to find the area/volume

• Thread starter zhuyilun
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses setting up double integrals to find the volume of a solid bounded by various shapes and planes. The first two parts involve finding the volume using polar coordinates and the third part involves subtracting the volume of one solid from another to find the final answer.
zhuyilun

Homework Statement

1. r=4+3*cos([tex]\theta[/tex])
2.bounded by the cylinders x^2+y^2=r^2 and y^2+z^2=r^2
3. the solid enclosed by the parabolic cylinder y=x^2 and the planes z=3y and z=2+y

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. i set up the double integral of r and with r= o to 4+3*cos([tex]\theta[/tex]), [tex]\theta[/tex]=0 to 2 pi
2. i set up the double integral of (r^2-y^2)^(1/2) and with x=-(r^2-y^2)^(1/2) to x= (r^2-y^2)^(1/2), y= -r to y=r. and muliply the volume by two due to the symmetricity of the graph
3. i know i should find the volume of one and subtract the volume of the second one. but that's all i know. i don't know how to set up the integrals

can anyone tell me what i did in 1 and 2 is right or not and help me w/ 3? thx

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

For part 1, you correctly set up the double integral with the limits of integration for r and θ. However, make sure to also include the function that you are integrating, which would be r in this case. So the integral should be ∫∫r dA, where dA is the area element in polar coordinates.

For part 2, you are correct in setting up the integral for the volume of the solid. However, since the solid is symmetric about the x-axis, you only need to integrate from 0 to r, and then multiply the result by 2.

For part 3, you can set up the integral for the first volume as ∫∫y dA, where y is the function y=x^2 and dA is the area element in the xz-plane (since the solid is bounded by the given parabolic cylinder and planes). The limits of integration for x and z would be determined by the intersection of the parabolic cylinder and the planes. Similarly, for the second volume, you can set up the integral as ∫∫(2+y-3y) dA, with the same limits of integration. Then you can subtract the second volume from the first to get the final answer.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Related to Using double in tegrals to find the area/volume

What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of integral that is used to find the area or volume of a two-dimensional or three-dimensional region. It involves integrating a function over a two-dimensional or three-dimensional region, rather than a single variable like in a regular integral.

When do you use double integrals to find area?

Double integrals are used to find the area of a two-dimensional region when the boundaries of the region cannot be easily expressed as simple functions. They are also used to find the volume of a three-dimensional region when the boundaries cannot be easily expressed as simple functions.

How do you set up a double integral?

To set up a double integral, you first need to define the boundaries of the region that you want to find the area or volume of. This is typically done by finding the equations of the curves or surfaces that form the boundaries of the region. Next, you need to determine the limits of integration for each variable, which will depend on the boundaries of the region. Finally, you need to choose the function that you want to integrate over the region.

What is the difference between a double integral and a single integral?

The main difference between a double integral and a single integral is that a double integral integrates a function over a two-dimensional or three-dimensional region, while a single integral integrates a function over a one-dimensional interval. Additionally, the limits of integration for a double integral are typically expressed as two or three variables, while the limits for a single integral are expressed as a single variable.

What are some real-world applications of using double integrals to find area/volume?

Double integrals have many real-world applications, including calculating the volume of a three-dimensional object, finding the area of a curved surface, determining the mass of a three-dimensional object, and calculating the center of mass of an irregularly shaped object. They are also commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to model and solve complex problems involving multiple variables.