Using Gravitational constant to get the final velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an evil alien who has put an asteroid with a mass of 1,000,000kg on a collision course with Earth. The distance from the center of the Earth to the asteroid is 10^8m and the Earth's radius is 6.4 x 10^6m. The mass of the Earth is 5.98 x 10^24kg. The atmosphere extends out to 500km beyond the surface and exerts a friction force of 10^8N. The goal is to calculate the speed of the asteroid just before it hits the ground, assuming it retains all of its mass as it travels through the atmosphere. The relevant equation is Fgrav = G
hyperkkt

Homework Statement

Evil Alien has put an Asteroid with
mass of 1,000,000kg to destroy mankind.
Distance from center of the Earth to Asteroid
(assume negligible center) is
10^8m and let's the gravitational force do the work.
Earth radius is 6.4 x 10^6m
and its mass is 5.98 x 10^24kg.
If the atmosphere extends out to 500km beyond
the surface and exrts an average friction force of 10^8N,
calculate the speed of the asteroid just before it hits the ground.
(Assume the asteroid rtains all of its mass as it travels through the atmosphere)

2. Relevant equation
Fgrav = Gm1m2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use F=ma first
by doing it so I get
F=Gm1m2/r^2=m1a
a=Gm2/r^2

However, could not do anything more since there is no dt.

So, I tried taking an integral of it,
finding the work and set it equal to kinetic energy
(not sure whether indefinite/definite integral matters)
integral of Gm1m2/r^2 = -Gm1m2/r
-Gm2/r^2=v^2
but got this and it cannot happen
because v^2 cannot be - number...
v=i(imginary)

I am stuck at this point have no
further suggestion on what I should do.

I've been working on it for about an hour
and would appreciate any help.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The potential energy PE(r)=-G*m1*m2/r. You find the change in potential energy by subtracting PE(r=10^8m)-PE(r=radius of the earth). The difference is positive, not negative.

Oh I see, but how do you get v after finding the change in PE?
And from there how do I apply it to the interval which frictino decreases the speed?

I may be understanding something wrong.
Thanks again for the reply

Last edited:
Part of the change in potential energy goes to overcoming the friction. The friction work is just force times distance. The rest of the potential energy becomes kinetic energy. Equate that to 1/2*mv^2.

FAQ: Using Gravitational constant to get the final velocity

1. What is the gravitational constant?

The gravitational constant, denoted as G, is a fundamental physical constant that quantifies the strength of the gravitational force between objects with mass. It is a key component in Newton's law of universal gravitation and is used to calculate the gravitational force between two objects.

2. How is the gravitational constant used to calculate final velocity?

The gravitational constant is used in the equation for gravitational potential energy, which is then used to calculate the final velocity of an object. This is done by equating the initial kinetic energy of the object to its final kinetic energy plus its gravitational potential energy.

3. Is the gravitational constant the same everywhere?

Yes, the gravitational constant is a universal constant and is believed to be the same everywhere in the universe. This means that it does not vary with location, time, or any other physical condition.

4. Can the gravitational constant be changed or manipulated?

No, the gravitational constant is a fundamental constant that cannot be changed or manipulated. It is a fixed value that is determined through experimental measurements.

5. Are there any limitations to using the gravitational constant to calculate final velocity?

Yes, using the gravitational constant to calculate final velocity assumes that the objects involved are point masses and that there are no external forces acting on them. In reality, this is not always the case and can lead to errors in the calculation.

Back