Using instantaneous torque to determine energy

In summary, you are trying to measure the difference in energy (ultimately looking for kWh) used between two different electric motors by utilizing instantaneous torque measurements. However, you are stumped because you don't know how to convert watts to joules. Google foot pounds per second to watts, and you get 1.35581795 watt.
JohnMC2010
Hi all - This may seem like a very simple exercise, but for some reason it's giving me trouble...

I am trying to determine the difference in energy (ultimately looking for kWh) used between two different electric motors by utilizing instantaneous torque measurements I have. I would like to do this so that I can chart energy consumption instantaneously as well across different motor speeds. Here's what my thought process is:

- Integrate torque signal in N-m: This gives me N-m-sec so that I have cumulative torque over a fixed duration (sec)
- But a Watt = 1 Joule/sec...?

Again... Silly question, but somehow I'm stumped

Engineering news on Phys.org
Boy, I'll say you're stumped. But posting your question in Astronomy and Astrophysics is unlikely to attract many helpful responses.

Power = Torque * angular velocity.
where
Power is in Watts
Torque is in Nm
Angular Velocity in Rad/s.

To convert rpm to Rad/s multiply the rpm by 2Pi/60.

To convert W to kWh just multiply by (60*60)/1000.

PS: You need both the torque and rpm/angular velocity. You can't do it with just the torque.

Google foot pounds per second to watts, and you get 1.35581795 watt.

You stated you were trying to "chart energy consumption instantaneously", but measuring the torque and angular velocity of the motor output won't give you that. It will give you mechanical energy output which will only be a lower bound on energy consumption. Consumption and output will always differ by the efficiency of the motor, which could vary widely depending on speed and load.

Why not measure the electrical energy directly?

Likes billy_joule and CWatters
CWatters answered in his PS, maybe it could use some emphasis ?

Torque has the units force X distance but is not work.
You can prove that to yourself - put a wrench on a tight nut and push gently. No movement = no work done. Work has units force X distance moved

that's why you must multiply torque by angular displacement to get work

i'm old,
in the English units of my day
horsepower = 2 X π X Torque(in foot-pounds_RPM /33,000

JohnMC2010 said:
- Integrate torque signal in N-m: This gives me N-m-sec so that I have cumulative torque over a fixed duration (sec)
- But a Watt = 1 Joule/sec...?
integrate product of torque and ω
∫ nm X radians/sec = nm = joules ,,, since radians are unit-less

any help ?

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff

1. How is instantaneous torque determined?

Instantaneous torque is determined by calculating the product of the force applied on an object and the perpendicular distance from the point of rotation to the line of action of the force. It is measured in Newton-meters (Nm).

2. What is the relationship between torque and energy?

Torque is directly proportional to energy. This means that as torque increases, so does energy. In other words, the greater the torque applied, the more energy is transferred to the object.

3. Can instantaneous torque be used to determine energy in all situations?

No, instantaneous torque can only be used to determine energy in situations where the force acting on an object is constant and the object is rotating about a fixed axis. In other cases, such as when the force is not constant or the object is not rotating, other methods must be used to determine energy.

4. How is instantaneous torque used in real-world applications?

Instantaneous torque is used in a variety of real-world applications, including measuring the power output of engines and motors, determining the force required to move objects, and understanding the movement and stability of structures.

5. What are some limitations of using instantaneous torque to determine energy?

One limitation is that it only takes into account the force acting on an object at a specific moment in time, and does not account for factors such as friction or changes in force over time. Additionally, it can only be used in situations where the object is rotating about a fixed axis.