Using Mathematica to solve for Jacobi Identity

In summary, you cannot derive ##[p_i,p_j]## from ##[x_i,x_j]## and ##[x_i,p_j]## by the Jacobi-Identity because there is no ##1## in a Lie algebra. You will only get expressions ##[x_i, [p_i,p_j]] = ...## and therefore only a result up to commuting parts. However, you can get a result that obeys the Jacobi Identity by programming the Jacobi-Identity once yourself and assuming the deformed [xi, xj] and [xi, pj] given.
Clarence Liu
Hi everyone, I'm new to Physics Forums and to Mathematica, as well as Jacobi Identity.

In any case, I was wondering on how I may use Mathematica to solve various Quantum Mechanics related problems through commutators. Like if it's possible to find out what is the form of a particular commutator from the Jacobi Identity.

To be more specific, say I define [x_i, x_j] and [x_i,p_j] to be something, how do I use mathematica to find [p_i, p_j].

As well as the coding to supposedly find the uncertainty relation of 2 operators, suppose I define the commutator to be of a certain form/value.

In general, I'm simply not familiar with mathematica and I would like to make my life easier in doing these relevant calculations. Hope someone might be able to enlighten me on this aspect.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know how this is done in mathematica. I programmed the Jacobi-Identity once myself with what was at hand.
Anyway, you cannot derive ##[p_i,p_j]## from ##[x_i,x_j]## and ##[x_i,p_j]## by the Jacobi-Identity because there is no ##1## in a Lie algebra. You will only get expressions ##[x_i, [p_i,p_j]] = ...## and therefore only a result up to commuting parts. Why want you to do it? Usually you have a certain Lie algebra and its structure constants given.

fresh_42 said:
I don't know how this is done in mathematica. I programmed the Jacobi-Identity once myself with what was at hand.
Anyway, you cannot derive ##[p_i,p_j]## from ##[x_i,x_j]## and ##[x_i,p_j]## by the Jacobi-Identity because there is no ##1## in a Lie algebra. You will only get expressions ##[x_i, [p_i,p_j]] = ...## and therefore only a result up to commuting parts. Why want you to do it? Usually you have a certain Lie algebra and its structure constants given.
yes, I do understand that. but essentially, given a particular form of [xi, xj] and [xi, pj] you can in directly proof a certain form of [pi, pj] that obeys the Jacobi Identity. At least as far as I know. I'm actually doing some a research on deformed quantum mechanics from the commutator relationship under a supervisor from my university (I'm an sophomore). So in the research, if we are to suggest a particular deformed [xi, xj] and assuming [pi, pj] to still be 0, I'll be able to get a form of [xi, pj] which obeys the Jacobi Identity. I realized if I were to solve it by hand it's going to be quite a pain in the ass, so I was wondering if I'd be able to do it via Mathematica.

Well, it is painful, I know. That's why I've made a program that at least wrote me the equations so I'was left with simply comparing the coefficients. Without additional assumptions I don't see short cuts. Sorry, for I'm no help with mathematica.

1. What is the Jacobi Identity and why is it important in mathematics?

The Jacobi Identity is a fundamental concept in mathematics that relates to the behavior of algebraic structures, specifically Lie algebras. It states that in a Lie algebra, the bracket operation (usually denoted by [x,y]) must satisfy the following identity: [x,[y,z]] + [y,[z,x]] + [z,[x,y]] = 0. The Jacobi Identity is important because it characterizes the behavior of these structures and allows for the development of powerful mathematical theories and applications.

2. How can Mathematica be used to solve for Jacobi Identity?

Mathematica is a powerful computational software program that can be used to solve complex mathematical equations and problems, including the Jacobi Identity. By using built-in functions such as "Solve" or "Reduce", Mathematica can easily solve for the Jacobi Identity in a given Lie algebra. Users can also input their own custom functions and equations to solve for the Jacobi Identity.

3. Are there any specific tips or techniques for using Mathematica to solve for Jacobi Identity?

One helpful tip is to use the "Assuming" function in Mathematica to specify the variables in the Jacobi Identity that are assumed to be real. This can help Mathematica narrow down the possible solutions and provide a more accurate result. Additionally, it can be helpful to use the "Simplify" function to simplify the output of the Jacobi Identity and make it easier to understand.

4. Can Mathematica be used to verify the Jacobi Identity for a specific Lie algebra?

Yes, Mathematica can be used to verify the Jacobi Identity for a specific Lie algebra. By inputting the specific algebraic structure and using the "Simplify" function, Mathematica can check whether the Jacobi Identity holds true for that particular algebra.

5. Are there any limitations to using Mathematica to solve for Jacobi Identity?

While Mathematica is a powerful tool for solving mathematical problems, it does have its limitations. Solving for the Jacobi Identity in very large or complex Lie algebras may be computationally intensive and may require advanced programming techniques. Additionally, Mathematica may not be able to provide a solution if the Jacobi Identity cannot be satisfied for a given algebraic structure.