How do I solve for B in Newton's cooling law using given temperatures?

In summary, the conversation discusses using Newton's law of cooling to write a differential equation for the temperature change of an object taken out of an oven at 370 F and placed in a room at 70 F. After 5 minutes, the temperature of the object is 250 F. The equation y = Be^(kt) + 70 is derived, and the value of B is determined to be 300. The conversation also addresses the initial value y(0) and its significance in solving for B and k.
polaris90
An object is taken out of the oven that is set at a
temperature of 370 F and taken to a room that is at a temperature70 F. After 5 minutes, the temperature of the object is250 F.
a) Use the Newton’s law of cooling to write a differential
equation for this situation.

I started with dy/dt = k(y-70) and after differentiating I ended up with y = Be^(kt) + 70
What would I use or how would I solve for B?

I went online but on every page I saw B as Tf-Ti. On another post(not here) someone mentioned to solve for B, but I don't know how to. I have the temperatures and can just plug it into Tf-Ti, in this case 300. I don't to use it that way as it appears like I'm missing or assuming something not given.
Should I use 370 as my value for B?

Physics news on Phys.org
polaris90 said:
An object is taken out of the oven that is set at a
temperature of 370 F and taken to a room that is at a temperature70 F. After 5 minutes, the temperature of the object is250 F.
a) Use the Newton’s law of cooling to write a differential
equation for this situation.

I started with dy/dt = k(y-70) and after differentiating I ended up with y = Be^(kt) + 70
What would I use or how would I solve for B?

I went online but on every page I saw B as Tf-Ti. On another post(not here) someone mentioned to solve for B, but I don't know how to. I have the temperatures and can just plug it into Tf-Ti, in this case 300. I don't to use it that way as it appears like I'm missing or assuming something not given.
Should I use 370 as my value for B?

What is y(0)? What does that say about B and k? What is y(5)?

RGV

y(0) = 370, therefore e^(kt) = 1 and B = 300
Now it's all just plugging in numbers. Thanks, I just didn't know how to get B.

1. How does Newton's cooling law work?

According to Newton's cooling law, the rate of change of temperature of an object is directly proportional to the temperature difference between the object and its surroundings.

2. Can Newton's cooling law be applied to all objects?

Newton's cooling law can be applied to most objects, as long as they are in a closed environment and there is a temperature difference between the object and its surroundings.

3. How accurate is Newton's cooling law?

The accuracy of Newton's cooling law depends on several factors, such as the object's shape, size, and material, as well as the environment it is in. In general, it provides a good estimation for cooling rates.

4. How is Newton's cooling law used in real-life applications?

Newton's cooling law is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as in refrigeration and air conditioning systems, cooking and food preservation, and in studying the cooling of hot liquids and objects.

5. Are there any limitations to using Newton's cooling law?

One limitation of Newton's cooling law is that it assumes a constant temperature difference between the object and its surroundings, which may not always be the case. It also does not take into account other factors such as air currents and humidity, which can affect the cooling rate of an object.