Using ratios to obtain the weight of a person at a specific distance

In summary, to find the weight of a person at 128000 km above the surface of the Earth, you can use ratios and the fact that gravitational force is proportional to the inverse square of the distance from the center of the Earth. By setting up a proportion between the weight on the surface and the weight at 128000 km, you can solve for the weight at that distance.
needingtoknow

Homework Statement

Assuming the person weighs 980 N on the surface of the Earth, how would you use ratios to obtain the weight of a person at 128 000 km above the surface of the Earth.

Homework Equations

Fg is proportional to 1/d2

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer in the key says 0.072 N. I didn't know exactly where to start but by working backwards from the answer I have determined that it is 20 times the distance from the centre of Earth. I know how to solve these questions using ratios if I am given the times the distance from the centre of Earth.

For example for a previous question: Three times the distance from the centre of Earth, here is how I solve it.

Fg is proportional to 1/d^2

1x3 = 3 therefore 980 = 1/3^2

980 / 9 = 109 N

This method works everytime when I am given the times the distance from the centre of Earth. But when I am given a specific distance I do not know how to get the answer. Can someone please help? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Since [itex]F\propto\frac{1}{d^2}[/itex], You can write [itex]F = k\frac{1}{d^2}[/itex] where k is the constant of proportionality.

So if [itex]F_1\propto\frac{1}{d_1^2}[/itex] and [itex]F_2\propto\frac{1}{d_2^2}[/itex]

then [itex]\frac{F_1}{F_2}=\frac{\frac{1}{d_1^2}}{\frac{1}{d_2^2}}[/itex].

The constants of proportionality cancel.

The radial distance from the center of the Earth to the surface is ? What is the ratio of 128000 km to this distance?

Related to Using ratios to obtain the weight of a person at a specific distance

1. How do ratios help in obtaining the weight of a person at a specific distance?

Ratios are useful in obtaining the weight of a person at a specific distance because they provide a relationship between two quantities. In this case, the ratio between the weight of a person on Earth and the weight of the same person on a different planet or at a different distance can be used to calculate the weight at the specific distance.

2. What is the formula for using ratios to obtain the weight of a person at a specific distance?

The formula is as follows: Weight at specific distance = Weight on Earth * (Specific distance / Earth's distance)^2. This formula takes into account the inverse square law, which states that the force of gravity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two objects.

3. Can ratios be used to obtain the weight of a person at any distance?

Yes, ratios can be used to obtain the weight of a person at any distance as long as the appropriate ratio is used. However, the accuracy of the calculation may decrease as the distance increases due to other factors such as the rotation and shape of the planet.

4. How does the weight of a person change at different distances?

The weight of a person changes at different distances due to the varying strength of gravity. As the distance between two objects increases, the gravitational force between them decreases. Therefore, a person's weight will be different on Earth compared to the same person's weight on a different planet or at a different distance from Earth.

5. Are there any limitations to using ratios to obtain the weight of a person at a specific distance?

One limitation is that the formula for using ratios assumes that the person's weight is evenly distributed. In reality, a person's weight may not be evenly distributed, which can affect the accuracy of the calculation. Additionally, other factors such as the rotation and shape of the planet can also affect the accuracy of the calculation.