1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using ratios to obtain the weight of a person at a specific distance

1. Apr 1, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Assuming the person weighs 980 N on the surface of the Earth, how would you use ratios to obtain the weight of a person at 128 000 km above the surface of the Earth.

2. Relevant equations

Fg is proportional to 1/d2

3. The attempt at a solution

The answer in the key says 0.072 N. I didn't know exactly where to start but by working backwards from the answer I have determined that it is 20 times the distance from the centre of Earth. I know how to solve these questions using ratios if I am given the times the distance from the centre of Earth.

For example for a previous question: Three times the distance from the centre of Earth, here is how I solve it.

Fg is proportional to 1/d^2

1x3 = 3 therefore 980 = 1/3^2

980 / 9 = 109 N

This method works everytime when I am given the times the distance from the centre of Earth. But when I am given a specific distance I do not know how to get the answer. Can someone please help? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2013 #2
    Since [itex]F\propto\frac{1}{d^2}[/itex], You can write [itex]F = k\frac{1}{d^2}[/itex] where k is the constant of proportionality.

So if [itex]F_1\propto\frac{1}{d_1^2}[/itex] and [itex]F_2\propto\frac{1}{d_2^2}[/itex]

then [itex]\frac{F_1}{F_2}=\frac{\frac{1}{d_1^2}}{\frac{1}{d_2^2}}[/itex].

The constants of proportionality cancel.

4. Apr 1, 2013 #3
    The radial distance from the center of the earth to the surface is ??? What is the ratio of 128000 km to this distance?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted