Using Rspec to Interpret Stellar Spectra

In summary, the user is trying to identify a spectral line from a photograph and is having difficulty. He might try to do things like mount the grating farther away from the camera or increase his integration time in order to see the spectral line more clearly.
Raxas
Hello, PF.
I'm a simple high school student who likes a challenge, and as such, I decided to put together a research project involving reading spectral lines from photographs I took. I got the lens, I got the camera, I got pictures, and now I'm stumped. Reading up on Rpsec, a lot of it's users heralded it as "one of the easiest programs to use" for this kind of stuff. Much to my disappointment, it appears the people who said that probably had a more extensive knowledge of the subject than I did when they used it.
http://filesmelt.com/dl/calibratedimage.png
I've calibrated the image (at least I think I did, if I did something wrong, for the love of all that is good tell me), and I don't know where to go from here.

If I'm too far over my head and this is a dead end, just tell me and spare the sympathy, I'd rather not waste time with a dead-end project. If it can be done, I implore you to reveal the secret.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
What are you taking pictures of?

try using longer exposures if you can. Is your scope on a tracking mount? You appear to have all that Rspec can give you but the noise is on the same scale as the absorptions you intend to see. You might also try to modify your input data by "stretching" in a program like Photoshop. Play with the contrast, saturation and brightness controls to get as much signal/noise as you can.

Drakkith said:
What are you taking pictures of?

Yes, what star are you looking at? You might start by taking a pic of the blue sky through a pinhole or slit and work that up to familarize yourself with Rspec as well.

edit. based on the filename of HD11506 I'm guessing that he is trying to duplicate the spectral identification of HD11506b by doppler spectrometry.

You might try to mount your grating a little farther from the CCD chip. Mounting it farther away spreads out the spectrum and dims the image a bit. If you do that, you will need to increase your integration time (or decrease your frames/sec if you are using a webcam). Don't forget to use an IR filter for your camera along with your grating (grism?) if the grating itself isn't a good enough IR filter.

1. What is Rspec and how is it used to interpret stellar spectra?

Rspec is a software tool commonly used in scientific research to analyze and interpret data, particularly in the field of astronomy. It is designed to handle large datasets and can perform statistical analysis, data visualization, and modeling. In the context of stellar spectra, Rspec can be used to plot and analyze the spectral lines and wavelengths of stars, providing valuable insights into their composition and properties.

2. What are some advantages of using Rspec for interpreting stellar spectra?

Rspec offers several advantages for analyzing stellar spectra. Firstly, it can handle large datasets efficiently and provides powerful statistical tools for analyzing complex data. Additionally, it offers customizable visualization options, making it easier to identify and interpret spectral features. Rspec also has a user-friendly interface, making it accessible to scientists with varying levels of programming experience.

3. Can Rspec be used to identify different types of stars based on their spectra?

Yes, Rspec can be used to identify different types of stars based on their spectra. This is because each type of star has a unique spectral signature, characterized by specific absorption and emission lines. Rspec can be programmed to recognize and categorize these features, allowing scientists to identify and classify different types of stars accurately.

4. How does Rspec handle noise or errors in the data when interpreting stellar spectra?

Rspec has built-in tools for handling noise and errors in data, making it a reliable tool for interpreting stellar spectra. The software has various methods for data smoothing, filtering, and outlier detection, which can help reduce the impact of noise on the analysis. Additionally, Rspec allows for manual adjustments and calibrations, which can further improve the accuracy of the results.

5. Can Rspec be used to compare the spectra of different stars?

Yes, Rspec can be used to compare the spectra of different stars. The software has features that allow for easy plotting and overlaying of multiple spectra, making it ideal for comparative analysis. This can provide valuable insights into the similarities and differences between stars, helping scientists understand the processes and conditions that shape the spectral features of different celestial objects.