Using Taylor's Theorem and big O

• Thread starter SMA_01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the conversation discusses using Taylor's Theorem to show that √(x+1)=1+(1/2)x+O(x2) for x sufficiently small. The speaker presents their solution, which involves expanding the function in a Taylor series and using the notation O(x^2) to represent the remaining terms. They also ask for a simplified explanation of O(x^2). The expert explains that O(x^2) can be thought of as "other terms containing x to at least second power".
SMA_01

Homework Statement

Use Taylor's Theorem to show that

√(x+1)=1+(1/2)x+O(x2)

for x sufficiently small.

Here's what I did:

f(x)= √x+1

f'(x)= (1/2)(x+1)(-1/2)

Then using x0=0,

f(0)= 1, f'(0)=1/2.

√x+1=1+(1/2)x-(1/8)x2(cx+1)(-3/2)

So, then using h as a parameter:

l√(h+1) -1-(1/2)h l ≤ 1/8(h2)

Finally,

√(h+1) = 1+(1/2)h+O(h2)

Is this correct?

I' m having difficulty understanding the meaning of O, can someone please explain in simple terms?
Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you expand ##f(x)## in a Taylor series about ##x=0## you get$$
\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{f^{(n)}(0)}{n!}x^n$$You need to write out the first few terms of that for your function. The notation ##O(x^2)## means the other terms are bounded by a constant times ##x^2##. So you group all the higher order terms together and call them ##O(x^2)##.

LCKurtz- Thank you. I just edited my original question, I think I solved it right, but am not completely sure. How do I know when to stop expanding the series? Is it once I get x^2?

SMA_01 said:
LCKurtz- Thank you. I just edited my original question, I think I solved it right, but am not completely sure. How do I know when to stop expanding the series? Is it once I get x^2?

Yes, the terms from ##x^2## and higher are all ##O(x^2)##. I like to think of ##O(x^2)##, very informally mind you, as "Other terms containing ##x## to at least second power". Not very precise but easy to remember.

Last edited:
Much easier to understand, thank you!

Related to Using Taylor's Theorem and big O

1. What is Taylor's Theorem?

Taylor's Theorem is a mathematical theorem that allows us to approximate a function with a polynomial. It is used to find an approximation for a function at a specific point by using its derivatives.

2. How is Taylor's Theorem used in science?

Taylor's Theorem is used in science to approximate complex functions with polynomials, making them easier to work with and analyze. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to simplify calculations and make predictions.

3. What is the big O notation in Taylor's Theorem?

The big O notation in Taylor's Theorem represents the error term in the approximation. It is used to indicate the rate of convergence or divergence of the polynomial approximation to the original function.

4. What is the difference between Taylor's Theorem and Maclaurin's Theorem?

Taylor's Theorem and Maclaurin's Theorem are both used to approximate functions with polynomials. The main difference is that Taylor's Theorem can be used for any point on the function, while Maclaurin's Theorem is specifically used for approximating at x=0.

5. Can Taylor's Theorem be used for all functions?

Taylor's Theorem can be used for most differentiable functions. However, it may not work for functions with discontinuities or infinite derivatives. In these cases, other methods may need to be used for approximation.