Using the commutation relation [AB,C]=A[B,C]+[A,C]B canonical H

In summary, the conversation discusses the expansion of the commutator [H,(p-qA)] and how it can lead to different answers depending on the method used. It is mentioned that using the relation in the title can simplify the process, but it is also possible to expand the terms individually to show that they cancel out. However, this can be a tedious process.
AlexCdeP
Under the effect of an electric and magnetic field the momentum in the Hamiltonian becomes the canonical momentum, p-qA where p is the linear momentum and A is the vector potential so H=(1/2m)(p-qA)^2 + qV where V is the scalar potential. I am trying to find [H,(p-qA)].

My main question arises because as I expand the commutator out in different ways I seem to be getting different answers. For example if I begin with [H,(p-qA)]=[H,p]-q[H,A] I get a different answer to when I use go [H, (p-qA)] = (1/2m)[(p-qA)^2,(p-qA)] + [qV,(p-qA)] and use the relation mentioned in the title to get (p-qA)[(p-qA),(p-qA)] + [(p-qA),(p-qA)](p-qA) which I'm pretty sure is zero.

So what's going on? I can only assume that I have to expand out all the brackets for the operators first to get them individually and then use the relation in the title. If I'm right, then why?

Physics news on Phys.org
AlexCdeP said:
My main question arises because as I expand the commutator out in different ways I seem to be getting different answers. For example if I begin with [H,(p-qA)]=[H,p]-q[H,A] I get a different answer to when I use go [H, (p-qA)] = (1/2m)[(p-qA)^2,(p-qA)] + [qV,(p-qA)] and use the relation mentioned in the title to get (p-qA)[(p-qA),(p-qA)] + [(p-qA),(p-qA)](p-qA) which I'm pretty sure is zero.

Yes, (1/2m)[(p-qA)^2,(p-qA)] is zero. If you don't use the relation in the title and expand out the terms individually, you should be able to show that all the terms cancel. But it's a tedious process.

Related to Using the commutation relation [AB,C]=A[B,C]+[A,C]B canonical H

What is the commutation relation [AB,C]?

The commutation relation [AB,C] is a mathematical expression that describes the relationship between the operators A, B, and C. It states that the commutator of the product AB with the operator C is equal to the sum of the commutator of A with C multiplied by B, and the commutator of B with C multiplied by A.

What does the term "canonical" mean in the context of the commutation relation [AB,C]=A[B,C]+[A,C]B?

In this context, "canonical" refers to the most general or fundamental form of the commutation relation. It is the standard or accepted form that is used in mathematical and physical equations.

Why is the commutation relation [AB,C]=A[B,C]+[A,C]B important in quantum mechanics?

The commutation relation [AB,C]=A[B,C]+[A,C]B is important in quantum mechanics because it helps to describe the behavior of operators in a quantum system. It is used to determine the uncertainty between two observables, as well as to calculate the time evolution of quantum systems.

How is the commutation relation [AB,C]=A[B,C]+[A,C]B related to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle?

The commutation relation [AB,C]=A[B,C]+[A,C]B is directly related to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle. This principle states that the product of the uncertainties in two non-commuting observables (such as position and momentum) must be greater than or equal to the reduced Planck's constant. The commutation relation allows us to calculate the uncertainties in these observables by using the commutator of the operators.

Can the commutation relation [AB,C]=A[B,C]+[A,C]B be extended to more than three operators?

Yes, the commutation relation [AB,C]=A[B,C]+[A,C]B can be extended to any number of operators. For example, in the case of four operators A, B, C, and D, the commutation relation would be [ABC,D]=A[BC,D]+[A,C]B[C,D]+[A,B]C[D,C]. This can be generalized to any number of operators in a similar manner.