Using the Fundamental Theorm of Calculus II to evaluate indefinite integrals

In summary, the conversation was about evaluating definite integrals using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. The given equations and attempts at solutions were also mentioned. The correct solutions for the three integrals were found to be 172.5, 11.75833, and 0.0000119775, respectively.
rowkem

Homework Statement

Evaluate the following definite integrals using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus:

1. 1 [tex]\int[/tex] 4 ( (5x2+7x+5)dx )

2. -5pi/6 [tex]\int[/tex] 4pi/6 (−6sinx+7cosx) dx )

3. 2 [tex]\int[/tex] 4 ( (e^-4x)/((e^(-4x))+7) dx )

If it's unclear, the number on the left is the lower bound of the integral and the number on the right is the upper bound of the integral, followed by the function.

Homework Equations

a [tex]\int[/tex] b f(x) dx = F(b) - F(a)

The Attempt at a Solution

Here are my solutions:

1. 1157/6

2. (-6(cos(4pi/6))+7(-sin(4pi/6)))-(-6(cos(-5pi/6))+7(-sin(-5pi/6)))

3. (4-0.25(log(1+7e^16)))-(4-0.25(log(1+7e^8)))

--

It's saying they're all wrong. I can't seem to find where I went wrong. If you could please help me out. Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
I did no 1. and got 172.5 as the solution.

Thanks - I ended up using my calculator for the sake of this question and its:

1. 172.5

2. 11.75833

3. 0.000011977

1. What is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus II?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus II states that if a function f(x) is continuous on an interval [a, b] and if F(x) is an antiderivative of f(x) on that interval, then the definite integral of f(x) from a to b is equal to F(b) - F(a).

2. How is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus II used to evaluate indefinite integrals?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus II can be used to evaluate indefinite integrals by first finding an antiderivative of the function and then plugging in the upper and lower limits of integration into the antiderivative. This will give the value of the indefinite integral.

3. Can the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus II be used to evaluate all indefinite integrals?

No, the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus II can only be used to evaluate indefinite integrals of continuous functions on a given interval. It cannot be used for discontinuous functions or on intervals where the function is not continuous.

4. Are there any other methods for evaluating indefinite integrals besides using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus II?

Yes, there are other methods such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitutions. These methods may be more efficient for certain functions and may be necessary for evaluating more complex integrals.

5. Can the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus II be used to evaluate definite integrals?

Yes, the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus II can be used to evaluate both indefinite and definite integrals. However, for definite integrals, the upper and lower limits of integration must be plugged into the antiderivative to find the definite integral value.