Using the method shown in the details, how does this method prove that

• Thread starter ybhathena
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, by completing the square, it is shown that the derivative of f(x) is always positive, indicating that the function is never negative and therefore monotone increasing.
ybhathena

Homework Statement

Solution:

Let f(x) = x^3 - 3x^2 + 4x + 1
f'(x) = 3x^2 - 6x + 4
= 3(x-1)^2 + 1 > 0

Therefore f(x) is always monotone increasing.
From f(0) = 1,
x> 0 and f(x) > 1

and therefore proves the inequality.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how they got the derivative and how they got it into vertex form, but I don't know how by putting it into vertex form it proves that f(x) is always monotone increasing? Can someone please help me understand this method?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi ybhathena! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
ybhathena said:
f'(x) = 3x^2 - 6x + 4
= 3(x-1)^2 + 1 > 0

… I don't know how by putting it into vertex form it proves that f(x) is always monotone increasing?

the fact that it's the vertex (as you call it) is irrelevant

all that matters is that 3(x-1)2 + 1 is a square plus 1,

so it must always be ≥ 1, and so it's always > 0 :wink:

(this is called "completing the square")

But what do you mean by it is always positive. Isnt it, the slope of the tangent line ? So then what would it mean that the slope is always positive?

ybhathena said:
But what do you mean by it is always positive. Isnt it, the slope of the tangent line ? So then what would it mean that the slope is always positive?

Exactly! That is what YOU need to figure out.

Oh I think I get it, if the slope is always increasing that means the function is never negative hence monotone increasing right?

ybhathena said:
Oh I think I get it, if the slope is always increasing that means the function is never negative hence monotone increasing right?

All you need is that the slope is > 0; it does not matter if the slope is increasing, decreasing, or constant. Many strictly increasing functions have slopes that are decreasing; in such cases the slopes are always > 0 but are numerically smaller as x is increasing. (That means that for larger x the function increases at a smaller rate, but it still increases.)

1. How does this method prove that the results are accurate?

This method uses a rigorous and standardized process of experimentation and data analysis. The results are based on multiple trials and controls, ensuring that any observed effects are truly caused by the tested variable and not by other factors.

2. How does this method account for potential errors or biases?

The method includes measures to control for potential errors and biases, such as using a control group and randomizing the assignment of participants. Additionally, data is carefully collected and analyzed to identify and address any outliers or anomalies.

3. How does this method ensure reproducibility of results?

The method is designed to be replicable by other scientists. Detailed procedures and protocols are followed, and all data and methodology are thoroughly documented. This allows other researchers to repeat the experiment and obtain similar results.

4. How does this method compare to other methods for testing the same hypothesis?

The method is often compared to other methods through peer-reviewed studies and meta-analyses. This helps to validate the results and determine the most effective and accurate method for testing a particular hypothesis.

5. How does this method contribute to the overall body of scientific knowledge?

The method provides valuable data and insights that can be used to build upon existing scientific knowledge and formulate new hypotheses. It also allows for the identification of patterns and trends that can contribute to a deeper understanding of the topic being studied.