Utilizing Cayley-Hamilton's Theorem to Solve N x N Determinant Problem

• Thread starter kockabogyo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Determinant
In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the determinant of two matrices, A and B, in the form of a polynomial. The solution involves considering different cases and using the Cayley-Hamilton theorem to manipulate the matrices.
kockabogyo
1. Given [itex]A,B\in Mat _n(\mathbb{R})[/itex]

2. Show that:
a) [itex]\det (A^2 + A + E)\geq 0[/itex]
b) [itex]\det (E+A+B+A^2+B^2)\geq 0[/itex] ,
where [itex]E[/itex] is the unit matrix.
3. My attempt at a solution
[itex]A^2 + A + E[/itex]=[itex](A + E)^2 -2A[/itex]

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8zKPTh1siSsOHNWQnBfaXR3QXM/view?usp=sharing
Snapshot.jpg

pleas give me tips to solve

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes nuuskur
Physics news on Phys.org
kockabogyo said:
[itex]A^2 + A + E[/itex]=[itex](A + E)^2 -2A[/itex]
Something went wrong with the linear term, and I would choose a different term to square.

You can consider the cases ##det(A)=0## and ##det(A) \neq 0## separately, that gives more freedom to manipulate A in one case.

mfb said:
Something went wrong with the linear term, and I would choose a different term to square.

You can consider the cases ##det(A)=0## and ##det(A) \neq 0## separately, that gives more freedom to manipulate A in one case.

Thanks, yes, sorry not - 2A only -A , but than?

I would choose a different term to square. A term that doesn't leave an A outside.

Likes kockabogyo
mfb said:
I would choose a different term to square. A term that doesn't leave an A outside.

O Yeah!.. I think I found it.. Cayley Hamilton's context A2 - Tr(A)*A+det(A)*E = O

Related to Utilizing Cayley-Hamilton's Theorem to Solve N x N Determinant Problem

1. What is the "N x N determinant problem"?

The "N x N determinant problem" refers to the challenge of finding the determinant of a square matrix with N rows and N columns. This is a common problem in linear algebra and is used in various mathematical and scientific applications.

2. Why is finding the determinant important?

The determinant of a matrix is an important mathematical concept that has many practical applications, such as solving systems of linear equations, calculating areas and volumes of geometric shapes, and determining the invertibility of a matrix. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the properties and behavior of matrices.

3. What are the methods for finding the determinant of a matrix?

There are several methods for finding the determinant of a matrix, including the cofactor expansion method, the diagonalization method, and the LU decomposition method. Each method has its own advantages and is suitable for different types of matrices. It is important to choose the appropriate method for a given problem.

4. Can the determinant of a matrix be negative?

Yes, the determinant of a matrix can be positive, negative, or zero. It depends on the values of the elements in the matrix and the method used to calculate the determinant. For example, the determinant of a matrix can be negative when using the cofactor expansion method, but positive when using the diagonalization method.

5. Is there a shortcut for finding the determinant of a large matrix?

Yes, there are some techniques and properties that can help simplify the process of finding the determinant of a large matrix. For example, using row operations to reduce the matrix to an upper or lower triangular form can make it easier to calculate the determinant. Additionally, some special types of matrices, such as diagonal or triangular matrices, have simple formulas for finding their determinants.