Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

UV protected swim clothes

1. Sep 28, 2009 #1
    http://www.alexandme.com/ [Broken]

sells uv protected swim clothes for a 4 times the price. All I could see is swim suits which are covering more body parts. Is the material different?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Polyester/polyamide is better than cotton - don't know if you can add anything to make it even better

4. Sep 30, 2009 #3

S_Happens

Gold Member

I've seen Quiksilver's UV tech stuff before. I can't find any serious info with a quick search. It simply refers to "UV tech super-stretchy nylon and spandex with SPF 50 rating..." so I'm not certain if it's proprietary or simply vague to make it seem like it's special technology.

I know my short sleeve spandexy (I'm not at the house otherwise I'd read the materials) rash guard that I bought 10 years ago left me with some serious farmers tan lines this summer when I wore it diving.

5. Oct 1, 2009 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

The only thing I have seen is that polymers can have various UV stabilizers/absorbers mixed in. Possibly this is what they use in the polyester clothing.

6. Oct 12, 2009 #5
    I'm trying to think if I have ever gotten sunburn through any clothes that I have ever owned. Are these transparent or something?

7. Oct 12, 2009 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thin white cotton has very little UV absoprtion, there is a concern that people could get sunburned because they stay out in the sun for longer because they feel cooler and are protected.

8. Mar 1, 2010 #7
    Dunno about other benefits, but it would probably help with IR cameras designed to see through swimwear. I know IR and UV are different but if it effectively blocks one it probably blocks the other too.

9. Mar 1, 2010 #8
    I could never stay outside in super-stretchy nylon and spandex, the feel of it would make me insane.

10. Mar 1, 2010 #9

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Plus holding your stomach in for that long makes me dizzy

11. Mar 1, 2010 #10

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, it would not help for IR. IR and UV are indeed different, they are in fact as different as they can be since UV and IR are (just outside) the opposite ends of the visible spectrum.
    Hence, that fact that something protects from UV has absolutely no releveance when it comes the properties at the IR end of the spectrum.

12. Mar 2, 2010 #11
    Then I suggest you quit holding my stomach in.:redface:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook