V774104: Mysterious Sednoid with No Known Orbit

• I
  • Thread starter nikkkom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    News
In summary, this object was one of the most distant objects ever discovered, but has gone undetected since its initial discovery. It has not been submitted to the Minor Planet Center for astrometry, so its orbital elements are unknown. It was discovered by Scott Sheppard using the Subaru Telescope in Hawaii, and is estimated to be between 500 and 1000 kilometers across. It has not had any news since its initial announcement, and there is no indication that its orbit has been refined. However, it may be worth watching for developments as it approaches the Sun.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V774104

"The discovery was announced at the November 2015".
"No astrometry has been submitted to the Minor Planet Center, so there are no publicly known orbital elements".

Hmm. This is an interesting object, one of the most distant, possibly only the third-ever discovered sednoid... and no news since initial discovery, no better orbit determination since then?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
nikkkom said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V774104

"The discovery was announced at the November 2015".
"No astrometry has been submitted to the Minor Planet Center, so there are no publicly known orbital elements".

Hmm. This is an interesting object, one of the most distant, possibly only the third-ever discovered sednoid... and no news since initial discovery, no better orbit determination since then?
Hi, I found this. From, http://www.lunarplanner.com/asteroids-dwarfplanets/Ninth-Planet/index.html
The Brown-Batygin computer modeling hypothesis comes along with the November 10, 2015 announcement of
another recently discovered dwarf planet by Scott Sheppard, an astronomer at the Carnegie Institution for Science, designated V774104. Sheppard and colleagues made the discovery using Japan’s Subaru
Telescope in Hawaii. V774104 is currently about 15.4 billion kilometers from the Sun (103 AU)
and is estimated to be between 500 and 1000 kilometers across. (It will take at least a year to determine its orbital parameters).

arxiv.org/pdf/1603.06520 ?

Still no news on the refined orbit?

Likes 1oldman2
nikkkom said:
Good question, I'll see what I can find.

Last edited:
nikkkom said:
Good question, I'll see what I can find.
We are at the end of the minimum time frame for establishing orbital parameters, maybe something soon.
This site would be worth watching for developments.
http://astronomy.activeboard.com/t61157602/v774104/

Interesting. Still no news.

Likes 1oldman2
uo3L91 finally got its MPC designation a few months ago (now known as 2013 SY99) and it was discovered 3.5 years ago AND is ~40 au closer to the sun...so it may be awhile yet, til V774104 has an observation arc long enough to get a "page in the book".

Likes 1oldman2
Dont Wanna said:
uo3L91 finally got its MPC designation a few months ago (now known as 2013 SY99) and it was discovered 3.5 years ago AND is ~40 au closer to the sun...so it may be awhile yet, til V774104 has an observation arc long enough to get a "page in the book".

So what are you saying? It is _not_ an alien spaceship from other stars?? My hopes are crushed... ;)

Of course it is an alien space ship. The aliens are merely making course adjustments to confound our ability to predict their arrival.

Related to V774104: Mysterious Sednoid with No Known Orbit

1. What is V774104?

V774104 is a mysterious object discovered in 2015 in the outer reaches of our solar system. It is classified as a sednoid, a type of trans-Neptunian object that has an extremely elongated orbit.

2. How was V774104 discovered?

V774104 was discovered using the Subaru telescope in Hawaii as part of a survey to search for distant objects in our solar system. Its discovery was announced in November 2015.

3. Why is V774104 considered mysterious?

V774104 is considered mysterious because it has an extremely distant orbit, with an estimated distance of 103 astronomical units (AU) from the sun. This is roughly three times the distance of Pluto's orbit. It also has a highly elliptical orbit, which is unusual for a sednoid.

4. What do we know about V774104's orbit?

Unfortunately, we know very little about V774104's orbit. Its distance and highly elliptical orbit make it difficult to track, and it has not yet completed a full orbit since its discovery. Scientists are continuing to study this object to learn more about its orbit and origins.

5. Could V774104 be a new planet?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that V774104 is a new planet. It is more likely that it is a large and distant object in our solar system, similar to other sednoids. However, further study and observation may reveal more information about its characteristics and classification.