1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

V_in / V_out for a simple didoe/op-amp circuit

1. Jan 21, 2007 #1

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Question attatched in image file.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

A1.b) Input will be a sine wave 6Vpp . When the input goes positive, D1 conducts and short circuits the ‘first’ resistor. D2 doesn’t conduct (it acts as an open circuit) and so Vout = voltage across R in parallel = 3V.

When the input goes negative D1 doesn’t conduct and D2 does. Therefore, the voltage goes through the ‘first’ resistor but the second resistor in parallel is short circuited. Therefore Vout = 0v since the diode is ideal.

A1.C) The output from the op-amp will be = to vin . -1 (negative feedback) .When vin goes positive, D conducts and Vout = -0.7V

When Vin goes negative D acts as an open circuit, so the Vout = 1.5V

Obviously the answers above somewhat incomplete since a graph of v_in/v_out is also needed, but i just wanted someone to check if i have got the right idea.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

Nice job. Your solutions look complete and correct to me.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?