Vaidya Metrics: Outgoing M(u) Conditions & Phys. Situations

• I
  • Thread starter Tomas Vencl
  • Start date
In summary, the outgoing Vaidya metrics described in the article have a restriction that M(u)_{, u} needs to be negative in order for the emitted radiation to have a positive energy density. The metric is derived by assuming spherical symmetry and that the only stress-energy present is ingoing or outgoing null dust. The solution is normally done in ingoing or outgoing Eddington-Finkelstein coordinates to avoid a coordinate singularity.
Tomas Vencl
I would like to ask if the function M(u) in Vaidya metrics must fulfil any special conditions, or is it completely free ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaidya_metric#Outgoing_Vaidya_with_pure_Emitting_fieldIn other words, when the outgoing Vaidya metrics describes the metrics of radiating body (for example Hawking radiation), probably the M(u) must have some special form, conditions etc. to be a physical situation description.
Does anyone know some details about this topic ?
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tomas Vencl said:
when the outgoing Vaidya metrics describes the metrics of radiating body (for example Hawking radiation), probably the M(u) must have some special form, conditions etc. to be a physical situation description

##M(u)_{, u}## (the derivative of ##M(u)## with respect to ##u##) needs to be negative for the outgoing Vaidya metric in order for the emitted radiation to have a positive energy density. As far as I know that is the only restriction (other than the obvious one that ##M(u) \ge 0##).

Thank you.
I try to understand deriving Vaidya metric, but in the wiki article they just changed the Schw. coordinates of the Schwarzschild metrics to Eddington-Finkelstein coordinates of Schw. metrics and then changed the constant M to M(u) with only remark, that this is still physically reasonable. I understand that this changed the metrics, but I do not see the proof for reasonability and mathematical correctness for this step. (I do not understand why during derivation to E-F coordinates They treat with M as a constant, not a function of u, but at the end They set M to be a function M(u) )
So can I just change the constant M in Schwarzschild coordinates to corresponding transformed function M(t ,r) and also will obtain reasonable solution (not static, non vacuum..) ?

Tomas Vencl said:
I try to understand deriving Vaidya metric

The Wikipedia page doesn't derive the metric, it just writes it down and shows its similarities with the Schwarzschild metric.

To derive the metric, you would assume spherical symmetry and that the only stress-energy present is ingoing or outgoing null dust.

Tomas Vencl said:
So can I just change the constant M in Schwarzschild coordinates to corresponding transformed function M(t ,r) and also will obtain reasonable solution (not static, non vacuum..) ?

If you follow the assumptions I just described and work the problem in standard Schwarzschild coordinates, you will indeed find that you have a mass ##M## that depends on both ##t## and ##r##. However, that solution will have a coordinate singularity, which is why the solution is normally done in ingoing or outgoing Eddington-Finkelstein coordinates, which do not have a coordinate singularity in the region of interest.

1. What is the purpose of Vaidya Metrics?

The purpose of Vaidya Metrics is to provide a mathematical framework for studying the behavior of outgoing radiation in black hole spacetimes. It allows scientists to analyze the effects of different physical situations on the outgoing radiation and understand the behavior of black holes in more detail.

2. What are outgoing M(u) conditions in Vaidya Metrics?

Outgoing M(u) conditions refer to the boundary conditions that are imposed on the outgoing radiation in the Vaidya Metrics framework. These conditions specify the behavior of the radiation at the event horizon and at infinity, and are essential for accurately modeling the behavior of black holes.

3. How are physical situations represented in Vaidya Metrics?

Physical situations in Vaidya Metrics are represented as perturbations to the black hole spacetime. These perturbations can include changes in the mass, angular momentum, or charge of the black hole, as well as the presence of external matter or radiation. By studying the effects of these perturbations, scientists can gain a better understanding of the behavior of black holes in different physical situations.

4. What are some applications of Vaidya Metrics?

Vaidya Metrics has a wide range of applications in black hole physics. It can be used to study the behavior of black holes in different physical situations, such as the accretion of matter onto a black hole or the merger of two black holes. It is also useful for analyzing the properties of outgoing radiation, such as its energy and angular distribution, which can provide insights into the nature of black holes.

5. How does Vaidya Metrics contribute to our understanding of black holes?

Vaidya Metrics plays a crucial role in advancing our understanding of black holes. By providing a mathematical framework for studying the behavior of outgoing radiation, it allows scientists to make predictions and test theories about the behavior of black holes in different physical situations. This can help us gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental properties of black holes and their role in the universe.