Values of x1 for which an iterative formula converges or diverges?

In summary, there is a way to find the values of x1 for which an iterative formula converges, but it depends on the function and depends on the interval you are looking in.
21joanna12
I was wondering if there is a way of finding out the values of x1 for which an iterative formula converges.
Specifically, I am looking at the formula xn+1=0.25(xn3+1) and I am thinking about it in the context of finding roots of a function, although it would be great if there was a general way of finding whether a sequence converges or diverges.

I haven't had any ideas yet, so thank you in advance for any help! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I found the answer: it converges if the absolute value of the derivative of the function f(x) where your formula is xn+1=f(xn) must be less 1. I get that, but now II have another question...

For the function x3-4x+1, if you want to find the roots using this iterative process you can use xn+1=0.25(xn3+1) or xn+1=cube root(4xn-1). I know that there are 3 roots. I have only considered the two in the interval 0-1 and 1-2, but it seems like for each of these roots only one of the formulae converges, the other diverges. Is it the case that there will always be one fomrula which converges, or are there some roots that can never be found by this process? Can this be shown mathematically?

Thank you :)

21joanna12 said:
I was wondering if there is a way of finding out the values of x1 for which an iterative formula converges.
Specifically, I am looking at the formula xn+1=0.25(xn3+1) and I am thinking about it in the context of finding roots of a function, although it would be great if there was a general way of finding whether a sequence converges or diverges.

I haven't had any ideas yet, so thank you in advance for any help! :)

You will gain a lot of insight into your problem if you look at it using a "cobweb diagram" methodology. See, eg., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobweb_plot or
https://www.math.ubc.ca/~andrewr/620341/pdfs/ga_sum.pdf . This last one has examples similar to yours.

1. What is an iterative formula?

An iterative formula is a mathematical expression that uses the results from the previous iteration to calculate the next iteration. It is commonly used in solving problems that involve repeated calculations.

2. How can one determine if an iterative formula converges or diverges?

To determine if an iterative formula converges or diverges, one can evaluate the formula for different values of x1 and observe the behavior of the sequence. If the values of the sequence approach a single value or oscillate between two values, the formula is said to converge. If the values of the sequence continue to increase or decrease without approaching a specific value, the formula is said to diverge.

3. What is the significance of the initial value x1 in determining convergence or divergence?

The initial value x1 plays a crucial role in determining the convergence or divergence of an iterative formula. Different values of x1 can lead to different behaviors of the sequence, and in some cases, a certain value of x1 can cause the formula to diverge.

4. Can an iterative formula that diverges for one value of x1 converge for another value?

Yes, it is possible for an iterative formula to diverge for one value of x1 and converge for another value. This is because the behavior of the sequence is dependent on the initial value x1, and different values can result in different outcomes.

5. Are there any methods to improve the convergence of an iterative formula?

Yes, there are various methods that can be used to improve the convergence of an iterative formula. These include using a different initial value x1, modifying the formula to reduce the number of iterations required, and using more advanced iterative methods such as the Newton-Raphson method.