Van der Pol Oscillator limit cycle

In summary, the problem involves a Van der Pol oscillator with small epsilon, which has a circular limit cycle in a phase space trajectory. The equation of motion and Fourier-series for the limit cycle are given. The goal is to simplify the equation to a simpler form, which involves using trigonometric identities and solving for x.
kornelthefirst
Homework Statement
We have a Van der Pol oscillator with small ##\epsilon## and after writing up a Fourier-series we have to bring it to a simpler form.
Relevant Equations
Equation of motion for the Van der Pol oscillator$$\ddot{x} + \epsilon(x^{2} - 1)\dot{x} + x = 0$$ Fourier-series for the limit cycle(already given) $$x_\epsilon^p(t) = \frac{a_0}{2} + \sum\limits_{k=1}^{\infty } [a_k \cos(k \omega t) + b_k \sin(k \omega t)]$$ Equation we need to arrive to$$\epsilon (x_p^2 - 1)\dot{x_p} = \epsilon a_1\omega[(1-\frac{a_1^2}{4})\sin(\omega t)-\frac{a_1^2}{4}\sin(3 \omega t)]$$
First i looked at the case of ## \epsilon = 0## and came to the conclusion, that this oscillator has a circular limit cycle in a phase space trajectory, when plotted with the axes x and ##\dot{x}##.
I have found that ##x_0^p (t) = a_1 \cos(t)## which implies that all other Fourier- coefficients have ##\epsilon## of at least power of 1
The limit cycle is independent of the starting conditions unless ##x = 0## and ##\dot{x} = 0##, so we can choose ##a_1## to be > 0 and ##b_1 > 0##.
If we put the equation of the Fourier-series back to the equation of motion we get$$\sum\limits_{k=1}^{\infty } [ - a_k \cos(k \omega t) - b_k sin( k \omega t)] + \epsilon (x^2-1)\dot{x} + \frac{a_0}{2}+\sum\limits_{k=1}^{\infty } [a_k \cos(k \omega t) + b_k sin( k \omega t)]$$ so simplified $$\epsilon (x^2-1)\dot{x} + \frac{a_0}{2} = 0$$ I am currently stuck here and can't find the next step. I can only assume it will include trigonometric identities, because i can see some patterns for some.

Physics news on Phys.org
kornelthefirst said:
Homework Statement: We have a Van der Pol oscillator with small ##\epsilon## and after writing up a Fourier-series we have to bring it to a simpler form.

I'm not sure this is the best approach to this problem; could you please post the exact problem statement?

Relevant Equations: Equation of motion for the Van der Pol oscillator$$\ddot{x} + \epsilon(x^{2} - 1)\dot{x} + x = 0$$ Fourier-series for the limit cycle(already given) $$x_\epsilon^p(t) = \frac{a_0}{2} + \sum\limits_{k=1}^{\infty } [a_k \cos(k \omega t) + b_k \sin(k \omega t)]$$ Equation we need to arrive to$$\epsilon (x_p^2 - 1)\dot{x_p} = \epsilon a_1\omega[(1-\frac{a_1^2}{4})\sin(\omega t)-\frac{a_1^2}{4}\sin(3 \omega t)]$$

First i looked at the case of ## \epsilon = 0## and came to the conclusion, that this oscillator has a circular limit cycle in a phase space trajectory, when plotted with the axes x and ##\dot{x}##.
I have found that ##x_0^p (t) = a_1 \cos(t)## which implies that all other Fourier- coefficients have ##\epsilon## of at least power of 1
The limit cycle is independent of the starting conditions unless ##x = 0## and ##\dot{x} = 0##, so we can choose ##a_1## to be > 0 and ##b_1 > 0##.
If we put the equation of the Fourier-series back to the equation of motion we get$$\sum\limits_{k=1}^{\infty } [ - a_k \cos(k \omega t) - b_k sin( k \omega t)] + \epsilon (x^2-1)\dot{x} + \frac{a_0}{2}+\sum\limits_{k=1}^{\infty } [a_k \cos(k \omega t) + b_k sin( k \omega t)]$$

You should have [tex]
\ddot x = -\sum_{n=1}^\infty n^2\omega^2 (a_n \cos (n\omega t) + b_n \sin (n\omega t)).[/tex]

I am currently stuck here and can't find the next step. I can only assume it will include trigonometric identities, because i can see some patterns for some.

I think the idea is that [itex]x(t) = a_1 \cos \omega t + \epsilon x_p(t)[/itex] so that [tex]\begin{split}
\ddot x + x &= -\epsilon(x^2 - 1)\dot x \\
(1 - \omega^2) \cos \omega t + \epsilon (\ddot x_p + x_p) &= \epsilon a_1 \omega (a_1^2 \cos^2\omega t - 1)\sin \omega t + O(\epsilon^2)\end{split}[/tex] subject to [itex]\dot x_p(0) = x_p(0) = 0[/itex]. We do not need a sine term in the leading order solution since that just amounts to a shift in the origin of time, which merely moves us to a different point on the limit cycle. It is not necessary to expand [itex]x_p[/itex] as a fourier series in order to solve this, although expressing the right hand side as a series in [itex]\sin n\omega t[/itex] and knowing [itex]\ddot y + y[/itex] where [itex]y = \sin n\omega t[/itex] or [itex]t\cos n\omega t[/itex] will assist.

1. What is a Van der Pol Oscillator limit cycle?

A Van der Pol Oscillator limit cycle is a type of nonlinear oscillator that exhibits self-sustained oscillations. It was first described by Dutch physicist Balthasar van der Pol in the early 20th century. In this system, the amplitude of the oscillations remains constant over time, forming a closed loop or cycle.

2. How does a Van der Pol Oscillator limit cycle behave?

The behavior of a Van der Pol Oscillator limit cycle is highly dependent on the values of its parameters. In general, it exhibits a stable and periodic oscillation, with the amplitude and frequency of the oscillations remaining constant over time. However, under certain conditions, the system can also exhibit chaotic behavior.

3. What are the applications of Van der Pol Oscillator limit cycle?

Van der Pol Oscillator limit cycle has various applications in different fields such as electronics, biology, and physics. It is commonly used in electronic circuits as a relaxation oscillator, in biological systems to model the behavior of neurons, and in physics to study nonlinear dynamics and chaos.

4. What factors affect the stability of a Van der Pol Oscillator limit cycle?

The stability of a Van der Pol Oscillator limit cycle is affected by the values of its parameters, particularly the damping coefficient and the strength of the nonlinear restoring force. A higher damping coefficient leads to a more stable limit cycle, while a stronger nonlinear force can destabilize the system and lead to chaotic behavior.

5. How is a Van der Pol Oscillator limit cycle different from other types of oscillators?

Unlike other types of oscillators, a Van der Pol Oscillator limit cycle exhibits a nonlinear behavior, meaning the restoring force is not directly proportional to the displacement. This leads to more complex and interesting dynamics, including the possibility of chaotic behavior. Additionally, the amplitude of the oscillations in a Van der Pol Oscillator limit cycle remains constant over time, unlike in other types of oscillators where it may increase or decrease.