How Do You Calculate the Mole Fraction of NaCl in a Solution?

• Thread starter Integral0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vapor
In summary, the conversation is about finding the mole fraction of NaCl in a solution of sodium chloride in water that has a vapor pressure of 19.6 torr at 25 degrees celsius. The mole fraction of H20 is calculated to be 0.824 using Raoult's Law, and the question is how to find the mole fraction of the solute (NaCl). The answer is that the mole fraction of water is equal to the mole fraction of solute, and therefore the mole fraction of NaCl is also 0.824. This is because ionic solutes, such as NaCl, dissolve into their constituent ions, so the mole ratio of NaCl to water is 1:1.
Integral0
Here is the question:

A solution of sodium chloride in water has a vapor pressure of 19.6 torr at 25 degrees celsius. What is the mole fraction of NaCl in this solution? The vapor pressure of pure water is 23.8 torr at 25 degrees celsius.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Here's what I need help with:

I am able to determine the mole fraction for H20 = .824
because I took Psoln = XsolventP^0solvent (Raoult's Law) and then I did this

Psoln divided by P^0solvent to get Xsolvent (kie solvent(mole fraction of solvent or H20)).

I got .824 for the mole fraction of H20 but now I am unsure about how to find the mole fraction of the solute (NaCl).

HOW DO YOU FIND THE MOLE FRACTION OF THE SOLUTE?

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
1 - mole fraction of water = mole fraction of solute.

Last edited:
RE;

How did you formulate this, GeneralChemtutor?

Does that mean .824 H20 solvent = .824 NaCl solute?

----------------------------------------------------------

If this is true . . . doesn't it need to be 2(.824)? B/c ionic solute's dissolve . . . like this -> NaCl -> 1 mol Na + 1 mol Cl ??

Last edited:

1. What is vapor pressure?

Vapor pressure is the pressure exerted by the gaseous form of a substance when it is in equilibrium with its liquid or solid form. It is a measure of the tendency of a substance to escape into the gas phase.

2. How does adding a solute affect the vapor pressure of a solution?

Adding a solute to a solution will lower the vapor pressure of the solution compared to the pure solvent. This is due to the fact that the presence of the solute reduces the number of solvent molecules available to escape into the gas phase.

3. What is the relationship between vapor pressure and temperature?

Vapor pressure and temperature have a direct relationship. As temperature increases, so does the vapor pressure of a substance. This is because higher temperatures lead to increased kinetic energy, causing more molecules to escape into the gas phase.

4. How is vapor pressure affected by the concentration of a solution?

The vapor pressure of a solution is inversely proportional to the concentration of the solute. This means that as the concentration of the solute increases, the vapor pressure decreases. This is because more solute particles means less solvent particles available to escape into the gas phase.

5. Why is understanding vapor pressure important in chemistry?

Understanding vapor pressure is important in chemistry because it helps us understand the physical properties of substances and their behavior in different environments. It also has practical applications, such as in determining the boiling point and evaporation rate of a liquid, and in industrial processes like distillation and vapor compression.