Variable Coefficient PDEs and Continuity of the General Solution

In summary: If the limit does not exist or is equal to infinity, then the function is discontinuous at this point.In summary, the general solution to ##xu_{x} + 4yu_{y} = 0## in ##{(x,y)\neq(0,0})## is ##u(x,y) = f(\frac{y^{\frac{1}{4}}}{x})##. The solution is discontinuous at any point where ##x = 0##, but can be made continuous at ##(0,0)## if the limit of ##f(\frac{y^{\frac{1}{4}}}{x})## as ##(x,y)## approaches ##(0,0)
Tsunoyukami
Variable Coefficient PDEs

My homework question:

"Find the general solution of ##xu_{x} + 4yu_{y} = 0## in ##{(x,y)\neq(0,0})##; when is this solution continuous at (0,0)?"

##\frac{dx}{dy} = \frac{x}{4y}##

##\frac{dx}{x} = \frac{dy}{4y}##

Integrating both sides, we find:

##lnx + c = \frac{1}{4} lny + d##

##lnx + c = lny^{\frac{1}{4}} + d##

##lnx + b= lny^{\frac{1}{4}}##, where ##b = c-d##

##e^(lnx + b) = e^(lny^{\frac{1}{4}})##

##x e^b = y^{\frac{1}{4}}##, but ##e^b## is a constant, so we say ##e^b = C##

##Cx = y^{\frac{1}{4}}##

##(Cx)^4 = y####u(x,y) = u(x,[Cx]^4)##
##\frac{du(x, [Cx]^4)}{dx} = \frac{du}{dx} + \frac{du}{dy}\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{du}{dx} + \frac{du}{dy}\frac{4y}{x} = xu_{x} + 4yu_{y} = 0##; this is the initial question, so we know that this works. Now we know:

##u(x,y) = u(x, [Cx]^4) = f(C)##, but we can solve for C in terms of x and y to find ##C = \frac{y^(\frac{1}{4})}{x}## so we have the general solution:

##u(x,y) = f(\frac{y^(\frac{1}{4})}{x})##

In terms of continuity is this just asking when the argument of the general solution f is equal to 0? If so, then the general solution would be discontinuous at any point ##(x,y) = (0,y)## or any point along the vertical line described by ##x = 0##. How can I make this function continuous at ##(x,y) = (0,0)##, or better - how can I make it continuous at this point given that f is an arbitrary function; do I use the notion that f is continuous at this point as a boundary condition?

EDIT

I think it seems reasonable that I would have to take the limit of f as ##(x,y)## approaches ##(0,0)##. If I find that the limit along two separate paths do not agree then the function is not continuous at this point...(or that just means that the limit does not exist - just because the limit at a point exists does not necessarily mean that the function is continuous, such as at a point discontinuity, correct?)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The limit can be calculated as:##\lim_{(x,y) \to (0,0)} f(\frac{y^{\frac{1}{4}}}{x})= f(0)## If the limit exists and is equal to some finite value, then the function is continuous at this point.

1. What is a variable coefficient PDE?

A variable coefficient PDE is a partial differential equation in which the coefficients of the terms containing the dependent variables are functions of the independent variables. This means that the coefficients can vary at different points in space or time, making the equation more complex to solve.

2. How is the continuity of the general solution determined?

The continuity of the general solution is determined by checking if the solution satisfies the original PDE and its boundary conditions. If the solution satisfies both, it is considered a continuous solution.

3. What is the importance of continuity in PDEs?

Continuity is important in PDEs because it ensures that the solution is valid and physically meaningful. It also allows for the solution to be approximated and accurately calculated, which is crucial in many real-world applications.

4. How do variable coefficient PDEs differ from constant coefficient PDEs?

Variable coefficient PDEs differ from constant coefficient PDEs in that the coefficients in a variable coefficient PDE can change in space or time, while the coefficients in a constant coefficient PDE remain the same. This makes variable coefficient PDEs more difficult to solve, but also allows for a more accurate representation of real-world phenomena.

5. What techniques are used to solve variable coefficient PDEs?

The techniques used to solve variable coefficient PDEs include separation of variables, the method of characteristics, and numerical methods such as finite difference or finite element methods. These methods may vary depending on the specific form and complexity of the PDE.