Exploring Variable Stars: R Hydra and Beyond

In summary, Betelgeuse is a red supergiant star that is variable in its luminosity. The bright area near the center of the image may be the star's photosphere, the same surface that is visible to the human eye.
juan avellaneda
hi all
I remember that once i see through a telescope a variable star ( i think it was R hydra) and it sees dark orange , why is that ? And is there some theory that explain this bizarre behaviour ?
I read once in an russian astrobook that the study of this stars will contribute to the progress in materials science .Are there real examples of this ?
And finally , can you provide me a website that show a photo of this stars at his minima and maxima??
tnx

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Variable stars come in all different colors. There are actually a number of different mechanisms that can produce variation in luminosity.

Studying variable stars gives us information on the way stars work, which gives us information on the way nuclear fusion and fluid dynamics and so on work.

As far as photographs, I'm not sure. Most astronomers would have little use for raw photographs, and would prefer to look at a compiled graph, called a "light curve," that shows the star's luminosity as a function of time.

- Warren

Mira, the wonderful

Here is a direct image of Betelgeuse , taken with the Hubble Space Telescope, and here is one of Mira. Both are red, and Mira is a very well known variable.

AAVSO, the American Association of Variable Star Observers - which, despite its name, is international in its scope - is an excellent source of information about variable stars, especially for beginners and amateurs.

Betelgeuse

im looking at the great Betelgeuse picture
im wondering if the bright yellow region is the internal core of the star?? or
everithing is just superficial
so we need to see this picture in 3D ?

juan avellaneda said:
im looking at the great Betelgeuse picture
im wondering if the bright yellow region is the internal core of the star?? or
everithing is just superficial
so we need to see this picture in 3D ?
The image is a little fuzzy, because the HST is being pushed to its very limits in terms of resolution. The colours are not real; the colour of Betelgeuse is the same as you'd see it in a defocussed image of the star in a medium-sized amateur telescope, white with a reddish tinge. The only part of the star imaged is its photosphere, the same as the 'visible surface' of the Sun. As the caption says, part of the photosphere (just off-centre) seems to be a bright hotspot. Note that this picture was taken in the UV part of the spectrum (255nm and 280nm, bandwidth 30nm).

let me guess... the limit of the star is the medium size yellow circle in this picture, and the red part is the outer atmosphere??
but the "circles" are very concentric, first red,then orange,yellow to almost white... that was that suggest me the 3D interpretation
anyway is a nice picture

1. What is a variable star?

A variable star is a star that changes in brightness or other observable characteristics over a period of time. These changes can occur due to various factors such as pulsations, eruptions, or eclipses.

2. How do scientists study variable stars?

Scientists study variable stars by observing their changes in brightness and other characteristics over time. They use telescopes and other instruments to gather data, and analyze the data using various techniques, such as photometry and spectroscopy.

3. What is R Hydra and why is it important?

R Hydra is a variable star located in the constellation Hydra. It is an important star for scientists to study because it exhibits a type of variability called "long-period variability", which can provide valuable insights into the evolution and structure of stars.

4. What have scientists learned from studying R Hydra?

Scientists have learned that R Hydra is a red giant star that is pulsating in a complex manner, with multiple periods of variability. They have also discovered that it is surrounded by a large dust shell, which is likely the result of its mass loss and evolution.

5. Are there other variable stars besides R Hydra that scientists study?

Yes, there are thousands of known variable stars that scientists study, and new ones are being discovered all the time. Some other well-known variable stars include Betelgeuse, Mira, and Delta Cephei. Each of these stars exhibits unique types of variability and provides valuable insights into the nature of stars.