Variation on the Van Der Pauw method

In summary, the Van der Pauw method can be used to characterize the sheet resistance of a metal film by pushing current through two contacts and measuring voltage across the other two contacts. Some colleagues suggest reversing this setup, pushing a voltage and measuring current, but this can still produce the same results due to the reciprocity theorem. However, this method may not be accurate for films with low 2 pt probe resistance due to the low impedance of the ammeter. It is also important to consider the requirements and limitations of the linear motor being used.
evilmonkey820
First time on this forum, hoping you can help clear something up for me.

I am using the Van der Pauw method to characterize the sheet resistance of a metal film. In the standard setup, current is pushed through two contacts and voltage is measured across the other two contacts. My colleagues are insisting that reversing this setup, pushing a voltage and measuring a current, will produce the same results. But they haven't been able to explain why. Wouldn't this create a current divider? The measured current wouldn't be the same as the current crossing the square.

I haven't been able to find any sources supporting this and they haven't been able to give me any. I'm also worried that since my films have a very low 2 pt probe resistance, the low impedance of the ammeter would add an error to the measurement.

Any help clearing this up would be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Try https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_motor

Specific questions such as "how strong should the magnet be" can not be answered unless you specify the requirements of the motor. How much liner force? How much power?

If you want only approxiate numbers, borrow them from ordinary electric motors. A linear motor is nothing more than a rotating motor flattened out. The basic electric and magnetic quantities don't change much by flattening.

Anorlunda seems to be responding to a different thread.

The behavior described by your colleagues is a consequence of the reciprocity theorem:

http://www.electrical4u.com/reciprocity-theorem/

http://electrical-engineering-portal.com/resources/knowledge/theorems-and-laws/reciprocity-theorem

Also look under the heading "Reciprocal Measurements" and "Reversed Polarity Measurements" here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_der_Pauw_method

Last edited:

1. What is the Van Der Pauw method?

The Van Der Pauw method is an experimental technique used to measure the resistivity or conductivity of a thin film or semiconductor material. It was developed by Dutch physicist L.J. Van Der Pauw in 1958.

2. How does the Van Der Pauw method work?

The method involves measuring the voltage and current at four different points on the sample using a four-point probe setup. The voltage and current measurements are then used to calculate the resistivity or conductivity of the sample using mathematical equations.

3. What is the purpose of using the Van Der Pauw method?

The Van Der Pauw method is commonly used in materials science and engineering to accurately measure the resistivity or conductivity of thin films or semiconductor materials. It is a non-destructive and highly accurate technique that can be used to study the electronic properties of various materials.

4. What are the advantages of the Van Der Pauw method?

One of the main advantages of the Van Der Pauw method is its ability to measure the resistivity of a sample regardless of its shape or size. It is also a non-destructive technique, meaning the sample can be reused for further experiments. Additionally, the method has high accuracy and precision, making it a valuable tool for research and analysis.

5. Are there any limitations of the Van Der Pauw method?

While the Van Der Pauw method is a widely used and reliable technique, it does have some limitations. It requires a four-point probe setup, which can be expensive and time-consuming to set up. Additionally, the method is most accurate for samples with a uniform thickness and resistivity, and may not be suitable for samples with complex structures or varying properties.