Variational calculus or fluid dynamics for fluid rotating in a cup

In summary: The equation for the surface involves the rotation rate, density, and the height and radius of the cup. The forces involved are gravity and centrifugal forces. In summary, the conversation discusses a problem of determining the equation for the surface of a rotating liquid in a cylindrical cup of coffee. The problem involves the rate of rotation, density, and dimensions of the cup, and the forces of gravity and centrifugal forces. It is determined to be a fluid dynamics problem rather than a variational calculus problem.
LawrenceJB
my first post having just joined!
Problem statement - what curve describes the surface of a rotating liquid? Stirring my cup of coffee years ago sparked this thought.
Question - is the way to solve this problem to use variational calculus, or fluid dynamics? I have always thought the former but recently someone suggested to me that it's the latter.
Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Lawrence

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a specific, precisely stated, problem in mind?

Hi. Here's my problem, stated with more detail.
Imagine a cylindrical cup of coffee, being stirred and where the surface of the stirred coffee has reached some steady state. In terms of the rate of rotation of the liquid and its density, define the equation of the surface of the rotating liquid S(r,h), where r is the distance of a point on the surface of the rotating liquid from the centre of rotation and h is its height above the lowest point on the surface of the rotating liquid. Ignore friction effects of the sides and bottom of the cup which has height H and radius R. The cup is half full of coffee before being stirred.

Hope that about does it. I'd like to know if this is a variational calculus problem or a fluid dynamics problem.

Thanks

Is this a homework problem? If so, please post in the homework section next time.

Some hint: In hydrostatics the equation for the pressure reads
$$\vec{\nabla} p=\vec{F},$$
where ##\vec{F}## is the force per volume. At the surface of the fluid you have ##p=0##, where ##p## is measured relative to the atmospheric pressure. Now you have just to specify the forces (gravity and centrifugal forces in the rotating reference frame) to get the equation of the surface. It's not too difficult!

The variational principle for ideal-fluid mechanics can be found in

A. Sommerfeld, Lectures on theoretical physics, vol. 2.

Thanks for the response. It's not a homework question - just a problem I thought was interesting.

Let me digest what you've suggested and I'll get back with some clarification questions.

LawrenceJB said:
Hi. Here's my problem, stated with more detail.
Imagine a cylindrical cup of coffee, being stirred and where the surface of the stirred coffee has reached some steady state. In terms of the rate of rotation of the liquid and its density, define the equation of the surface of the rotating liquid S(r,h), where r is the distance of a point on the surface of the rotating liquid from the centre of rotation and h is its height above the lowest point on the surface of the rotating liquid. Ignore friction effects of the sides and bottom of the cup which has height H and radius R. The cup is half full of coffee before being stirred.

Hope that about does it. I'd like to know if this is a variational calculus problem or a fluid dynamics problem.

Thanks
It's a fluid dynamics problem, and involves much more than just hydrostatics.

1. What is variational calculus?

Variational calculus is a mathematical tool used to find the extrema (maximum or minimum) of a functional. It involves finding the function that minimizes or maximizes a certain quantity, known as the functional, by considering an infinite number of possible functions.

2. How is variational calculus used in fluid dynamics?

In fluid dynamics, variational calculus is used to derive the equations of motion for a fluid. By considering an infinite number of possible flow fields and finding the one that minimizes the functional representing the total kinetic energy of the fluid, we can obtain the Navier-Stokes equations which govern the motion of fluids.

3. What is the significance of fluid rotation in a cup?

Fluid rotation in a cup is a common scenario in everyday life, such as stirring a cup of coffee or swirling a glass of wine. Understanding the dynamics of this type of fluid motion is important in various fields, from meteorology to oceanography, as it helps us to better understand and predict the behavior of rotating fluids in nature.

4. What are some real-world applications of fluid rotation in a cup?

Some real-world applications of fluid rotation in a cup include weather phenomena like hurricanes and tornadoes, ocean currents, and the rotation of planets and stars. It is also relevant in engineering, such as in the design of turbines and propellers.

5. How does the rotation of a fluid in a cup affect its behavior?

The rotation of a fluid in a cup can result in the formation of vortices and complex flow patterns. It can also affect the distribution of temperature, density, and other physical properties within the fluid. In some cases, the rotation can also create instabilities and turbulence in the fluid, leading to chaotic behavior.