Variations of double slit experiment

In summary, the conversation discussed various variations of the double slit experiment, including using three slits instead of two and incorporating an observer into the setup. The article mentioned a potential mistake in asserting that the photon flows through all the slits, and that the behavior of the experiment is altered when an observer interacts with the system. The conversation also briefly touched on the concept of a potential "Plank value" for probability, but it was determined that probability does not follow the same principles as other measurable features of the universe. It was suggested that further exploration into this topic could be done in a separate discussion.
igorcov
Hi,

Have there been done variations of double slit experiment, particularly I'm interested in following scenarios:
1. Three slits instead of 2. (Would expect the same behaviour of wave interference)
2. An observer is installed at one of the three slits. (Again, wave interference should be present?)
3. Double slit with observer in one slit, followed by other panel with 2 slits without observer.

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Yep - every variation you can think of has been tried.
Particularly the three-slit experiments:
http://arstechnica.com/science/2010/07/born-rules-quantum-mechanics-survives-triple-slit-test/
... the article makes a mistake by asserting that the photon flows through all the slits in some way.

Your observer interacts with the system in some way - to detect 100% of the photons through one slit, for example, it has to block the slit completely - changing the nature of the experiment.

I still think Feynman gives the best description of how this works in his lay lecture series.

For your examples, and off the top of my head:
1. yes
2. depends on the setup - I'd expect 2-slit interference to dominate but less bright.
3. depends on the setup - but more complicated. You'd have to sum over all paths through the entire setup.

Another question I have always wondered about, has there ever been speculation or research into whether probability has a plank value? What I mean is that anything with a probability of less than 1/6.6 X 10^34 would not exist in our universe. If every other 'measurable' feature of the universe has a Planck floor, why wouldn't probability?

iirc: probability does not work like that and neither does the plank length.
You'd have to figure out how the uncertainty principle applies to probability.
You want to go into depth - I'd suggest you start your own thread instead of hijacking someone elses.

1. What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a classic experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two narrow slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

2. How do variations of the double slit experiment work?

Variations of the double slit experiment involve changing one or more elements of the original experiment, such as the type of light used, the distance between the slits, or the material of the slits. These variations can provide different insights into the behavior of light and its wave-like properties.

3. What is the significance of the double slit experiment in modern physics?

The double slit experiment has been a crucial experiment in understanding the nature of light and its behavior as both a wave and a particle. It has also played a key role in the development of quantum mechanics and our understanding of the fundamental laws of nature.

4. Can the double slit experiment be applied to other types of particles besides light?

Yes, the double slit experiment has been successfully performed with other types of particles, such as electrons, neutrons, and even large molecules. This further supports the idea of wave-particle duality and the quantum nature of matter.

5. What are some real-world applications of the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment has applications in various areas of science, such as optics, quantum mechanics, and even biology. It has also been used in the development of technologies such as electron microscopes and diffraction gratings, which have important practical applications in various industries.