1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Analysis Identity derivation

1. Feb 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

derive the identity:
    del((F)^2) = 2 F . del(F) + 2Fx (del x F)

the dot is a dot product

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    first i set F = <a,b,c>, making F^2 = a^2 + b^2 + c^2
    I took the partial derivatives with respect to x, y, and z (to get the necessary parts for the gradient), which gives me:

d/dx(a^2 + b^2 + c^2) = 2a * da/dx + 2b*db/dx + 2c*db/dc
    d/dy(...) = ... 2a * da/dy + 2b*db/dy + 2c*db/dy
    d/dz(...) = ... 2a * da/dz + 2b*db/dz + 2c*db/dz

But, because its a gradient of a scalar, the three components above are those of a vector. After putting together the components im not sure where to go. What actually confuses me is that in the derivation you are supposed to show that a vector equals a vector plus a scalar -- the ( 2F . del(F)) term is a scalar... . If someone could please help me out that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If F is a vector, then you can't interpret del(F) as a vector. It has to be a rank 2 tensor. It's ij component is del_i(F_j) or del_j(F_i). So the i component of F.del(F) would be F_j*del_i(F_j) (summed over j) or possibly F_j*del_j(F_i) (summed over k). It's kind of ambiguous. What does it mean??
  4. Mar 19, 2009 #3

how can you do the derivation of d = Da/2b
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?