Vector calculus identities - is this right?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the manipulation of an equation involving tensors and the dot product of the gradient operator. The question asks for verification of the equality written in the equation, and further clarifies the notation used. The conversation also suggests using index notation for a simpler solution.
quarky2001
I'm manipulating an equation, and I think I am correct in doing this, but not sure. Could someone tell me if the equality I've written below is true?

[tex]
[\nabla\cdot [\rho\vec{v}\vec{v}] ]\cdot\vec{v} = \nabla\cdot[\frac{1}{2}\rho v^2 \vec{v}]
[/tex]

(where [tex]\rho[/tex] is dependent on position)

*NOTE* that my use of [tex]\vec{v}\vec{v}[/tex] (beside each other without a dot or cross) denotes a tensor quantity, i.e. [tex] \nabla\cdot(\rho\vec{v}\vec{v}) = \rho(\vec{v}\cdot\nabla)\vec{v} + \vec{v}\nabla\cdot(\rho\vec{v}) [/tex].

Physics news on Phys.org
so you mean an outer product
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outer_product

now i assume v = v(x,y,z). also is ro a scalar constant, or a scalar function

something like this is probably simpler in index notation, though you'll have to be careful with grad, this work in progress but hopefully helpful (and not rigorous)

so first let's define the dot product of the grad operator as
[tex]
\nabla\cdot \vec{v} = \frac{\partial }{\partial x_i} \delta_{ij} v_j = \frac{\partial }{\partial x_i} v_i
[/tex]

for the outer product (becoming in effect a 3x3 matrix)
[tex]
\rho \vec{v} \otimes \vec{v} = v_j v_k
[/tex]

then extend to (and this is a bit of a strecth)
[tex]
\nabla\cdot ( \rho \vec{v} \otimes \vec{v}) = \frac{\partial }{\partial x_i} \delta_{ij} \rho v_j v_k
[/tex]

see if you can extend it from there (note I've only used index summation notation and haven't gone near contra/covariance & invariance and tensor tranformations, which will become important when you start referring to tensors...)

Last edited:

1. What is Vector Calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with operations and properties of vectors in multi-dimensional space. It is used to solve problems related to motion, force, and energy in physics and engineering.

2. What are vector calculus identities?

Vector calculus identities are a set of equations that express the relationships between various vector operations, such as dot product, cross product, and gradient. These identities are used to simplify and solve complex vector equations.

3. How do I know if my vector calculus identity is right?

To check if your vector calculus identity is correct, you can verify it using mathematical proofs and properties of vector operations. You can also use computer software or online calculators to validate your identity.

4. What are some common vector calculus identities?

Some commonly used vector calculus identities include the product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule for differentiation, as well as the divergence theorem and Stokes' theorem for integration. These identities are essential tools in solving equations related to vector fields.

5. Where can I learn more about vector calculus identities?

You can learn more about vector calculus identities by studying vector calculus textbooks, attending lectures or online courses, and practicing problems. You can also consult with experts in the field or join online forums to discuss and learn more about these identities.