1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector dynamics question starting from accelaration

1. Sep 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I took this right out of the text, it is not home work just me trying to get better.

The acceleration of a particle is defined by the relation a = -8 m/s^2
    Knowing that x = 20 m when t= 4 m, and that x = 4 m when v = 16 m/s
    (a) determine the time when velocity is zero and (b) the velocity and total distance travelled when t = 11 s

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My attempt is I know velocity must be the integration of acceleration and displacement the integration of velocity. So I attempted to integrate -8dt 2 times. but when I do that I get x=-4t^2 which does not fit my given when t=4, x=20
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, even just pointing me in the right direction
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2010 #2

Looks like you need to take initial conditions into account. Remember that when you integrate you have a constant of integration as well, which you can determine if you have initial conditions (which you have).
  4. Sep 28, 2010 #3
    How do I know which of the conditions to use for the initial conditions?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook