1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics: Spring problem (Oscillation)

1. Nov 26, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The mass m = 4 kg and the spring constant k = 64 N/m. The spring is unstretched when x = 0.
    At t = 0, x = 0 and the mass has a velocity of 2 m/s down the inclined surface. What is the value
    of x at t = 0.8 s?
    The angle of incline is 20 degrees, and with the mass moving down to the right with a spring attached on its left surface.

2. Relevant equations
    ΣFx = max
    x = Asin(wt)+Bcos(wt)

3. The attempt at a solution
    d2x/dt2 + (16 s-2)x = 3.355 m/s2

I got to this point and I found that for the equation x = Asin(wt)+Bcos(wt) the solution gives x = Asin(wt)+Bcos(wt) + 0.210 m. I get that 0.210 = 3.355/16, but why is it included in this solution for the equation when all other examples of this problem for a vertically or horizontally held spring mass system use just the x = Asin(wt)+Bcos(wt) equation without this addition value? What is this value, and is it just disregarded as zero in the other forms of this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2017 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It is the equilibrium position, i.e. the spring extension required to balance the downslope gravity.

4. Nov 30, 2017 #3
    Oh okay, that makes sense, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted