1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector equation vs Matrix equation

1. Feb 5, 2012 #1
    I am a little bit confused about these 2.
    A vector equation goes like this: x1v1+x2v2+...+xnvn=b
    and Matrix equation goes like this:
    Ax= [v1 v2 .. vn][x1
    x2
    xn]

v is a vector in the vector equation, but in the matrix equation x becomes the vector and v is just the matrix.

My question is, why does it get switched like this?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

There are different kinds of multiplication going on. In your first equation, each term is a scalar times a vector (I'm assuming that the xi's are scalars).

Your second equation is the product of what appears to be an n X n matrix and a vector with n components. If you switched the order in the 2nd equation to xA, the multiplication would not be defined.

4. Feb 5, 2012 #3

Deveno

Science Advisor

in your "vector equation" the v's are vectors, and the x's are field elements (scalars).

one way of thinking of a matrix is "a vector of vectors" (it's a 2-array, not a 1-array). so in your "matrix equation" each v is a column (which is why matrix entries need TWO subscripts, one for the row, and one for the column). so what you really have is:

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}v_{11}&v_{12}&\dots&v_{1n}\\v_{21}&v_{22}&\dots&v_{2n}\\ \vdots&\vdots&\ddots&\vdots\\v_{m1}&v_{m2}&\dots&v_{mn}\end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}x_1\\x_2\\ \vdots\\x_n\end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}v_{11}x_1 + v_{12}x_2 + \dots + v_{1n}x_n\\v_{21}x_1 + v_{22}x_2 + \dots + v_{2n}x_n\\ \vdots\\v_{m1}x_1 + v_{m2}x_2 + \dots + v_{mn}x_n\end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}b_1\\b_2\\ \vdots\\b_n\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

writing Ax = b is just an abbreviation for that god-awful mess above.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook