Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector equations of lines

1. Sep 21, 2004 #1
    hi, im having a bit of trouble with this problem

Find the parametric equations for the line through the point(0,1,2) that is perpen dicular to the line x=1+t, y=1-t, z=2t and intersects this line.

first i seen that i have a direction vector from the given parametric eqations which is
    vector_v= <1,-1,2> and i can get the parallel line to that by taking <1,1,0>,which i will call vector_r, also from the parametric equations.

then to find a line perpendicular to this i take (vector_v) x (vector_r)

(vector_v) x (vector_r) = <-2,2,2>=vector_n

taking point(0,1,2) and vector_n i get

<0,1,2> + t<-2,2,2> = (0-2t)i+(1+2t)j+(2+2t)k =

x=-2t , y=1+2t , z= 2+2t

i was wondering if this is how you would go about solving this problem, if not a push in the right direction would be great.

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2004 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

well you are looking for a point on the given line that, when joined to the given point, makes a vector perpendicular to the given line.

you have a general point on the given line as (1+t, 1-t,2t) so you know how to subtract it from the given point and then how to dot the result with the direction vector of the given line i guess. that should do it.
    sorry i ignored everything after your first three lines.

4. Sep 22, 2004 #3
    ok, i just want to make sure i got this, when i subtracted the point (0,1,2) from (1,1,0) which came from the parametric equation. and got <-1,0,2>

then i doted that with the direction vector from the parametric equation which is <1,-1,2> and got <-1,0,4>.

is that right so far? and how would i get a parametric equation from just one vector?

thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?