Vector equations of lines

In summary, to find the parametric equations for a line perpendicular to the given line and passing through the point (0,1,2), you can use the direction vector from the given parametric equations and a vector parallel to it. By taking the cross product of these two vectors, you can find a vector perpendicular to the given line. Then, by adding this vector to the given point, you can create a parametric equation for the perpendicular line. To find the dot product of two vectors, you can subtract the point on the given line from the given point and then dot the result with the direction vector from the given parametric equations.
matpo39
hi, I am having a bit of trouble with this problem

Find the parametric equations for the line through the point(0,1,2) that is perpen dicular to the line x=1+t, y=1-t, z=2t and intersects this line.

first i seen that i have a direction vector from the given parametric eqations which is
vector_v= <1,-1,2> and i can get the parallel line to that by taking <1,1,0>,which i will call vector_r, also from the parametric equations.

then to find a line perpendicular to this i take (vector_v) x (vector_r)

(vector_v) x (vector_r) = <-2,2,2>=vector_n

taking point(0,1,2) and vector_n i get

<0,1,2> + t<-2,2,2> = (0-2t)i+(1+2t)j+(2+2t)k =

x=-2t , y=1+2t , z= 2+2t

i was wondering if this is how you would go about solving this problem, if not a push in the right direction would be great.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
well you are looking for a point on the given line that, when joined to the given point, makes a vector perpendicular to the given line.

you have a general point on the given line as (1+t, 1-t,2t) so you know how to subtract it from the given point and then how to dot the result with the direction vector of the given line i guess. that should do it.
sorry i ignored everything after your first three lines.

ok, i just want to make sure i got this, when i subtracted the point (0,1,2) from (1,1,0) which came from the parametric equation. and got <-1,0,2>

then i doted that with the direction vector from the parametric equation which is <1,-1,2> and got <-1,0,4>.

is that right so far? and how would i get a parametric equation from just one vector?

thanks

What is a vector equation of a line?

A vector equation of a line is a way to represent a line in three-dimensional space using a vector and a point on the line. It is written in the form r = a + tb, where r is a position vector, a is a fixed point on the line, t is a variable, and b is a direction vector.

How is a vector equation of a line different from a parametric equation?

A vector equation of a line is different from a parametric equation because it uses a vector and a point on the line to represent the line, while a parametric equation uses two or three independent variables to represent points on the line. A vector equation also allows for a more intuitive understanding of the direction and position of the line in three-dimensional space.

How do you find the direction vector of a line?

The direction vector of a line can be found by taking any two points on the line and subtracting their position vectors. This will give you a vector that points in the direction of the line. The direction vector can also be written in ratio form as b = (x2 - x1, y2 - y1, z2 - z1) where (x1, y1, z1) and (x2, y2, z2) are two points on the line.

Can a vector equation of a line be used to represent a line in two-dimensional space?

Yes, a vector equation of a line can also be used to represent a line in two-dimensional space. In this case, the equation would be written as r = a + tb, where r and a are two-dimensional vectors and b is a scalar value representing the slope of the line.

What is a normal vector and how is it related to a vector equation of a line?

A normal vector is a vector that is perpendicular to a given line or surface. In the context of a vector equation of a line, the normal vector is the direction vector b that is perpendicular to the line. This means that the dot product of the normal vector and the direction vector will be equal to zero, b · n = 0.