Vector field change of variables

In summary: I see. I'm sorry, for some reason the pics were just corrupted when I tried to upload them. I was trying to show how I got the curl to work, and it turns out that I screwed up completely. Anyway, in summary, the vector field I'm trying to calculate in cartesian coordinates is incredibly complicated, and I don't think there is an easy way to do it.
ballzac

Homework Statement

I just need to be able to change a vector field from spherical to cartesian
The question is about verifying stokes theorem (curl theorem) for a given vector field within and on a given path. It says not to use spherical coordinates, but the vector field is given in spherical coordinates.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the equations that relate r, theta, and phi to x, y, and z. One thing is, that it gets very messy, and I don't think it's meant to be. Another thing is that I don't know what to do with the unit vectors, as I have components that are (now) functions of x, y, and z but are pointing in the r, theta, and phi directions. I gather if I fixed that up, the messyness would disappear, but I don't know how to do it.

I also considered finding the curl in spherical coordinates and then using a Jacobian determinant to evaluate the integral, but I thought this might be kind of cheating.

If I can figure out how to change the vector field from spherical coordinates to cartesian I will have no trouble doing the integrals. I have a feeling I would've learned this in first or second year calculus, but I can't remember :( Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi ballzac

i think you're correct you need to change the spherical unit vectors into cartesian unit vectors, have a look at this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_vector

once you substitute in for the unit vectors and the variables, you should be left with a vector in terms of x,y,z and the cartesian unit vectors

you can always check your answer with the spherical form of the curl operator

lanedance said:
hi ballzac

i think you're correct you need to change the spherical unit vectors into cartesian unit vectors, have a look at this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_vector

once you substitute in for the unit vectors and the variables, you should be left with a vector in terms of x,y,z and the cartesian unit vectors

you can always check your answer with the spherical form of the curl operator

Thanks for that. I'm still having a lot of trouble because it gets so complicated when I start changing the variables. There must be an easier way. Anyway, I think maybe if I just change the unit vectors (thanks to the link you posted), and leave the variables in polar form, then I can still maybe work it out in cartesian coordinates. Haven't thought this one through, but it might work. Thanks again for the help. I'll keep working on this...

I'm going back to trying to change all the variables. One problem is that I have terms that are like sin(arcos(z/r)) this is obviously a projection of r in the x,y plane, but I don't know how to describe it precisely in cartesian coords because I don't know what phi direction it points in, arggg. This is causing me problems, lol.EDIT: I've found a list of trigonometric identities on wiki that has trig functions of inverse trig functions, and this seems to be simplifying quite dramatically, so we'll see how it goes.

Last edited:
can you post the original vector field?

certainly,

[tex]\textbf{f(r)}=r cos^2\theta\textbf{\hat{r}}-r cos\theta sin\theta\textbf{\hat{\theta}}+3r\textbf{\hat{\varphi}}[/tex]

WTF? I typed it in tex, and when previewing it it has come up as something completely different. In fact it looks like something I typed in a completely different thread once. ? Very strange. Anyway, in case it doesn't come up properly above (if it contains A and a it is not the right thing)... here it is

f(r)=rcos^2(theta)r_hat-rcos(theta)sin(theta)theta_hat+3rphi_hat

It is actually problem 1.56 in griffiths "Introduction to electrodynamics", which in the solution manual is done in spherical coordinates, hence why we're not allowed to use them.

Last edited:
Here is the question
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18133&stc=1&d=1237876170
After this it says not to use spherical coordinates, but I didn't scan that.I have tried to calculate what the field is in cartesian coordinates, and after substituting the equations for the variable and the unit vectors, I cam up with this (the bit circled in red is the field that I calculated...sorry if the rests so messy. I thought I'd leave it into a t least show a little bit of how I got to the final bit.)
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18132&stc=1&d=1237876170
Underneath you can see that I started calculating the line integral for what I labeled as segment 1. Then (I didn't scan this bit) I tried to do segment 2, but x is zero along segment 2, and there are two integrals for the second part, one for the y direction and one for z. In the y part, you can see that I end up needing to divide by zero when I set x=0.

I'm sure that it's not meant to be this complicated. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to get the curl the way I'm doing it.

EDIT:Damn, the pics don't seem to be working. EDIT2: Oh I see, duh.

Oh, also, I left r in the equations where it still exists just for brevity.

Yet another edit: I am getting somewhere. I'm sure I can (and will need to) simplify it further, but now I have

[tex]-3y\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2/(x^2+y^2)}\hat{\textbf{x}}+3x\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2/(x^2+y^2)}\hat{\textbf{y}}+z\hat{\textbf{y}}[/tex]And for the grand finale...I've got the left hand side done and I know it's right because it agrees with the version in the book done in spherical coordinates. I should be okay from here. Thanks again for the help.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 599
  • q3.jpg
    q3.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 654
Last edited:
Hi Ballzac

I just had a go and after substitution and cancelling get to:
[tex] -3r.sin(\phi).\hat{x} + 3r.cos(\phi) .\hat{y} + r.cos(\theta).\hat{z} [/tex]

edit: ok - you're all good, cool

1. What is a vector field change of variables?

A vector field change of variables is a mathematical technique used to transform a vector field from one coordinate system to another. It involves changing the variables used to describe the vector field, such as position or velocity, to a new set of variables that better describe the field in a different coordinate system.

2. Why is a vector field change of variables important in science?

A vector field change of variables is important in science because it allows us to simplify and analyze complex systems by transforming them into different coordinate systems. This can make it easier to understand and study the behavior of the system, and can also reveal new insights and relationships between different variables.

3. How is a vector field change of variables performed?

A vector field change of variables is usually performed using mathematical equations and techniques, such as coordinate transformations and differential calculus. These equations and techniques are based on the principles of vector calculus, which involves the manipulation and analysis of vector quantities.

4. What are some real-world applications of vector field change of variables?

Vector field change of variables has many real-world applications in science and engineering. For example, it is used in fluid dynamics to study the flow of fluids in different coordinate systems, in electromagnetics to analyze the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, and in meteorology to model atmospheric conditions and weather patterns.

5. Are there any limitations to using vector field change of variables?

While vector field change of variables is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It may not be possible to find a suitable transformation for every vector field, and the process of performing the transformation can be complex and time-consuming. Additionally, errors can arise if the transformation is not performed correctly or if the original vector field is not well-defined.