Vector Field Dynamics: Apologies & Solutions

In summary, the conversation is about working through exercises on quantum field theory, specifically deriving equations of motion for a Lagrangian involving a real vector field, gauge parameter, and external current. The speaker is having trouble applying the Euler-Lagrange equation to this specific problem and is seeking assistance. They are advised to first try the case of the "usual" electromagnetic Lagrangian density.
slothwayne
Currently working through some exercises introducing myself to quantum field theory, however I'm completely lost with this problem.

Let $$L$$ be a Lagrangian for for a real vector field $$A_\mu$$ with field strength $$F_{\mu\nu} = \partial_\mu A_\nu - \partial_\nu A_\mu$$ gauge parameter $$\alpha$$ and external current $$J^\mu$$

$$L = -\frac 14 F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu} - \frac \alpha2 (\partial_\mu A^\mu)^2 - J_\mu A^\mu.$$
Derive the equations of motion for $$A_\mu$$ for arbitrary $$\alpha$$ and show that they give the same field equations in Lorenz gauge $$\partial_\mu A^\mu = 0.$$

Apologies if my formatting is difficult to read.

Obviously the Euler-Lagrange equation is required however I'm not sure how to apply the equation correctly on this particular Lagrangean. Can anybody help me figure the method and/or the solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
In your problem ##A_\mu## is the field. Consequently, you have to compute the derivatives ##\partial_\nu(\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_\nu A_\mu)})## and ##\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{A_\mu}## for your Lagrangian density ##\mathcal{L}##. I'm not sure where you are stuck. Maybe, you should first try the case ##\alpha=0##, i.e. the "usual" electromagnetic Lagrangian density. This is covered in many books on QFT and/or relativistic QM.

1. What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical concept that represents a quantity, such as velocity or force, that has both magnitude and direction. It is typically visualized as arrows or lines in a two- or three-dimensional space.

2. What are vector field dynamics?

Vector field dynamics refers to the study of how a vector field changes over time. This can include analyzing the behavior of the field under different conditions, identifying patterns or trends, and predicting future behavior.

3. Why are vector field dynamics important?

Vector field dynamics are important because they help us understand and model complex systems in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology. By studying how vector fields change over time, we can make predictions and develop solutions to real-world problems.

4. What are some common applications of vector field dynamics?

Some common applications of vector field dynamics include weather forecasting, fluid dynamics, electromagnetic fields, and population dynamics in biology. It is also used in computer graphics for creating realistic animations.

5. What are some challenges in studying vector field dynamics?

One of the main challenges in studying vector field dynamics is the complexity of the mathematical equations involved. Additionally, accurately measuring and representing vector fields in real-world systems can be difficult. Another challenge is interpreting and analyzing the large amounts of data that can result from studying vector fields.