Vector field line integral

In summary, a vector field line integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the work done by a vector field along a given curve. It represents the amount of energy required to move an object through a given vector field and can be calculated for both closed and open curves. The calculation involves breaking down the curve into small segments and taking the sum of the dot product of the vector field and tangent vector at each segment. This concept has various real-world applications, such as determining the flow of fluid and measuring the force required to move an object through a magnetic field.
subzero0137
Fine the word done in moving a particle in the force field F=<2sin(x)cos(x), 0, 2z> along the path r=<t,t,t2>, 0≤t≤π

To do the line integral, I need to find F(r(t)), but I don't understand how to express it. For example I looked at the online notes provided here: http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcIII/LineIntegralsVectorFields.aspx

I don't understand how
eq0015M.gif
was derived. I know how to do the rest.

Physics news on Phys.org
subzero0137 said:
Fine the word done in moving a particle in the force field F=<2sin(x)cos(x), 0, 2z> along the path r=<t,t,t2>, 0≤t≤π

To do the line integral, I need to find F(r(t)), but I don't understand how to express it. For example I looked at the online notes provided here: http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcIII/LineIntegralsVectorFields.aspx

I don't understand how
eq0015M.gif
was derived. I know how to do the rest.
In the example, for the vector function F(x,y,z), you want to find the values of F(x,y,z) along the path r (x,y,z), which is expressed parametrically as:
r(x,y,z) = r(t) = (t, t2, t3)

Now F(x,y,z) = (8x2yz, 5z, -4xy), so everywhere you see an x, make the substitution x = t; everywhere you see y, y = t2; ditto z, z = t3

Thus F(x,y,z) = F(r(t)) = [8*t2*t2*t3, 5*t3, -4*t*t2] = [8t7, 5t3, -4t3]

What is a vector field line integral?

A vector field line integral is a mathematical concept used in physics and engineering to calculate the work done by a vector field along a given curve. It involves integrating the dot product of the vector field and the tangent vector along the curve.

What is the physical significance of a vector field line integral?

A vector field line integral represents the amount of work done by a force field as an object moves along a specified path. It is used to calculate the amount of energy required to move an object through a given vector field.

What is the difference between a closed and an open curve in a vector field line integral?

A closed curve in a vector field line integral is a path that starts and ends at the same point, while an open curve starts and ends at different points. The calculation for a closed curve is known as a closed line integral, while an open curve is known as an open line integral.

How is a vector field line integral calculated?

A vector field line integral is calculated by breaking down the given curve into small segments, finding the dot product of the vector field and the tangent vector at each segment, and then taking the sum of these products. This sum is then integrated over the entire curve to find the final value of the line integral.

What are some real-world applications of vector field line integrals?

Vector field line integrals have many practical applications, including calculating the work done by electric fields in circuits, determining the flow of fluid in pipelines, and measuring the force required to move an object through a magnetic field.