Vector field:one aspect that everyone knows but nobody shown

• I
  • Thread starter Chhhiral
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary: Gasperini, Maurizio. Relatività Generale e Teoria della Gravitazione. Springer Milan, 2015. pag:27"A gravitational theory based on a vector field can be eliminated since such a theorypredicts that two massive particles would repel one another, rather than attract."
Chhhiral
Why a generic vector field produces repulsive forces between charges of the same sign? And where can I find a book or a paper in which it is shown?

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculate e-e- scattering and e+e- scattering and take the non relativistic limit. It's probably in every book.

Vanadium 50 said:
Calculate e-e- scattering and e+e- scattering and take the non relativistic limit. It's probably in every book.
Thanks, but your answer is equivalent to: take like charges and calculate the Coulomb force. My question is more general

Chhhiral said:
Thanks, but your answer is equivalent to: take like charges and calculate the Coulomb force. My question is more general
His answer is very appropriate for an "advanced" level response, which is what you asked for by marking the thread as "A". I will adjust the level of the question to more appropriately reflect what you are looking for.

DaleSpam said:
A generic vector field does not produce repulsive forces between like charges. A Coulomb field does. The reason why is simply the way the Coulomb field is defined:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coulomb's_law#Vector_form
in many books of general relativity I found the statement: a vector field produces repulsive forces between like charges so can not be used to describe gravity ...

Chhhiral said:
in many books of general relativity I found the statement
I have never seen such a statement. Can you provide the reference.

DaleSpam said:
Gasperini, Maurizio. Relatività Generale e Teoria della Gravitazione. Springer Milan, 2015. pag:27
the English version should be: Gasperini, Maurizio. Theory of Gravitational interactions. Springer Science & Business Media, 2013. at the chapter: "Towards a relativistic theory of gravitation".
I found the same assertion in other books, I will send you more references

Last edited:
DaleSpam said:
His answer is very appropriate for an "advanced" level response, which is what you asked for by marking the thread as "A". I will adjust the level of the question to more appropriately reflect what you are looking for.
I'm trying to understand why a vector field can not be used to describe gravity. Not because the force of Coulumb is so defined or because the Lagrangian of the electromagnetic field leads to Bhabha scattering...

DaleSpam said:
Hobson, Michael Paul, George P. Efstathiou, and Anthony N. Lasenby.General relativity: an introduction for physicists. Cambridge University Press, 2006. pag:191
"A gravitational theory based on a vector field can be eliminated since such a theory
predicts that two massive particles would repel one another, rather than attract."

Are you really sure my question is an "I" level?

DaleSpam said:
You have been so quick to downgrade my question ... but now you do not answer ... maybe do you want other references? Please answer me, is a very important question for me... thanks

I am closing this thread. You have opened a new one in the relativity forum which I think is a better place for it and is a better description of the question.

1. What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical concept used to visualize and represent the direction and magnitude of a vector quantity at every point in a given space. It is usually represented by arrows, with the length and direction of the arrows indicating the strength and direction of the vector at that point.

2. How is a vector field different from a scalar field?

A scalar field is a mathematical concept that assigns a scalar value (a numerical value) to every point in a given space. In contrast, a vector field assigns a vector (with both magnitude and direction) to every point in the space. This means that a vector field contains more information than a scalar field.

3. What are some real-world applications of vector fields?

Vector fields have a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and fluid mechanics. They are used to represent fluid flow, magnetic fields, electric fields, and other physical phenomena. They are also used in computer graphics to generate realistic simulations of natural phenomena.

4. How are vector fields visualized?

Vector fields are typically visualized using arrows, as mentioned earlier. These arrows can be 2D or 3D depending on the dimensionality of the space. Color can also be used to represent the magnitude or direction of the vectors. Other visualization techniques include streamlines, which show the paths of particles moving through the vector field.

5. How are vector fields used in data analysis?

Vector fields are used in data analysis to analyze and interpret large datasets. They can help identify patterns and trends in the data and can also be used for predictive modeling. In addition, vector fields are often used in machine learning algorithms to represent and analyze complex data sets.