What Is the i,j Form of a Vector?

• Thread starter HawKMX2004
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, a vector in i+j form represents the change in x and y coordinates from the starting point to the ending point. The "i" number represents the change in the x coordinate and the "j" number represents the change in the y coordinate. This form is expressed as a sum of multiples of the unit vectors i and j. By using this definition, the i,j form of the vectors u and v can be determined as (1,3) and (1,3) respectively.
HawKMX2004
vector help asap please!

I have a problem that says define the i,j form of a vector and write the following vectors in i,j form u = P(1,1) to Q(2,4) and v = P(6, -3) to Q(7,0). I looked all through my book, and cannot find a definition for the i,j form of a vector ( i checked glossary, index,l and read the whole chapter again) I'm sure if i had a definition I could figure out how to re write the vectors...can anyone help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know whether anyone can help,but hopefully i can.A vector in i+j form is expressed starting with its form in a basis.
Exempli gratia:
The vector [itex] \vec{A} [/itex] in the base [itex] \vec{i},\vec{j} [/itex]has the form:
[tex] \vec{A}=5\vec{i}+7\vec{j} [/itex]
,so i step in and define its "i+j form" by the ordered pair:
[tex] \vec{A}(\vec{i},\vec{j})=:(5,7) [/tex]

Using this simple example,try to solve your problem.

Daniel.

Last edited:
ok so for U for example, U in form i,j would be 1i + 1j and 2i + 4j ?? I am lost a little or does this mean 2i + 1i = 3 and 4j + 1j = 5 so U(i,j) = (3,5) ??

Do you have no idea at all what a vector is?

u is a vector from (1,1) to (2,4): The x component changes from 1 to 2 so it changes by 2-1= 1. The y component changes from 1 to 4 so it changes by 4-1= 3.
The "i" number is the x change and the "j" number is the y change:
u= 1i+ 3j (and that is NOT 4 anything!)

v runs from (6, -3) to (7,0). The x component changes from 6 to 7: it changes by 1. The y component changes from -3 to 0: it changes by 0-(-3)= 3.
v= 1i+ 3j (it's the same as u!)

FAQ: What Is the i,j Form of a Vector?

1. What is a vector in i,j form?

A vector in i,j form is a mathematical representation of a direction and magnitude. It is written as ai + bj, where a and b are coefficients and i and j are unit vectors in the x and y directions, respectively.

2. How do you determine the direction of a vector in i,j form?

The direction of a vector in i,j form can be determined by taking the inverse tangent of the coefficient of the j term divided by the coefficient of the i term. This yields the angle in radians or degrees.

3. What does the magnitude of a vector in i,j form represent?

The magnitude of a vector in i,j form represents the length or size of the vector. It can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem as √a² + b².

4. How is a vector in i,j form graphically represented?

A vector in i,j form can be graphically represented by drawing an arrow from the origin to the point (i,j) on the coordinate plane. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the vector, and the direction of the arrow represents the direction of the vector.

5. What is the difference between a vector in i,j form and a vector in component form?

Both a vector in i,j form and a vector in component form represent a direction and magnitude. However, a vector in i,j form uses unit vectors i and j, while a vector in component form uses the actual x and y components of the vector. For example, a vector in i,j form may be written as 3i + 4j, while the same vector in component form would be written as (3,4).