Need Vector Help? Find Angle Between Planes

• Thread starter moca915
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, to find the angle between two planes, you need to find the normal vectors of each plane and then use the dot product formula. For the specific problem given, the angle between the planes x+y+z=1 and x+2y+3z=6 is 158 degrees.
moca915
Hi :smile:

I need a reminder on how to do this vector stuff... Here's the problem, please help:

(Planes)
Find the angle between x+y+z=1 and x+2y+3z=6.

So there are two planes, and I need to find the angle between the normals of these planes.

Any hints will help. Thanks! :biggrin:

Peace, Love, & Happiness,

Monica :wink:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bump :rolleyes:

[tex]
\begin{multline*}
\begin{split}
&For\ plane\ 1:\ x+y+z=1:\\
&Choose\ any\ 3\ points\ on\ the\ plane \ to\ find\ 2\ vectors\ on\ the\ plane.\\
&A(0,0,1);\ B(0,1,0);\ C(1,0,0)\\
&\vec{a}=\hat{k};\ \vec{b}=\hat{j}; \ \vec{c}=\hat{i}\\
&\vec{d}=\vec{b}-\vec{a}=\vec{j}-\hat{k}: The\ first\ vector\\
&\vec{e}=\vec{c}-\vec{a}=\vec{i}-\hat{k}: The\ second\ vector\\
&\vec{f}=\vec{d}\times\vec{e}=-\hat{i}-\hat{j}-\hat{k}: Normal\ vector\ to\ plane\ 1.\\

&For\ plane\ 2:\ x+2y+3z=6:\\
&Choose\ any\ 3\ points\ on\ the\ plane \ to\ find\ 2\ vectors\ on\ the\ plane.\\
&G(0,0,2);\ H(6,0,0);\ M(0,3,0)\\
&\vec{g}=2\hat{k};\ \vec{h}=6\hat{i}\; \ \vec{m}=3\hat{j}\\
&\vec{n}=\vec{h}-\vec{g}=6\vec{i}-2\hat{k}: The\ first\ vector\\
&\vec{p}=\vec{m}-\vec{g}=3\vec{j}-2\hat{k}: The\ second\ vector\\
&\vec{q}=\vec{n}\times\vec{p}=6\hat{i}+12\hat{j}+18\hat{k}: Normal\ vector\ to\ plane\\
&\vec{r}=\vec{q}/6=\hat{i}+2\hat{j}+3\hat{k}: Another\ normal\ vector\ to\ plane\\
&\vec{f}\bullet \vec{r}=frcos\ \theta; \ \theta=158^0
\end{split}
\end{multline*}
[/tex]

Last edited:
Thanks! That helped a lot :)

Or more generally: if a plane has the equation ax + by + cz + d = 0, then a normal vector to that plane is (a, b, c).

FAQ: Need Vector Help? Find Angle Between Planes

What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical representation of a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is often represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude of the vector.

How do you find the angle between two planes using vectors?

To find the angle between two planes using vectors, you can use the dot product formula: cosθ = (a1b1 + a2b2 + a3b3) / (|a||b|), where a and b are vectors representing the normal vectors of the planes. The resulting angle will be in radians.

What is the significance of finding the angle between planes?

Knowing the angle between planes can help in determining the relationship between the two planes, such as whether they are parallel, perpendicular, or intersecting. It can also be useful in solving problems in geometry, physics, and engineering.

Are there any special cases when finding the angle between planes using vectors?

Yes, there are two special cases when finding the angle between planes using vectors. If the dot product is equal to 0, then the planes are perpendicular. If the dot product is equal to 1, then the planes are parallel.

Can you find the angle between planes using only the equations of the planes?

No, you cannot find the angle between planes using only the equations of the planes. You need to know the normal vectors of the planes in order to use the dot product formula to find the angle.

Back