Deriving the Vector Identity: $\nabla(\vec{A} \cdot \vec{B})$

In summary: Try writing something like this:In summary, the author is trying to derive the vector identity, but is having difficulty. He has tried different methods and is at a dead end. He is looking for another way to solve the problem.
Xsnac

Homework Statement

I'm trying to derive the vector identity:
$$\nabla(\vec{A} \cdot \vec{B})$$

Homework Equations

$$ \nabla(\vec{A} \cdot \vec{B})=(\vec{B} \cdot \nabla) \vec{A} + ( \vec{A} \cdot \nabla ) \vec{B} + \vec{B} \times (\nabla \times \vec{A})+ \vec{A} \times ( \nabla \times \vec{B})$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to do it using analitical methods and I think I hit a dead end.
I tried everything, even the reverse start from the $$(\vec{B} \cdot \nabla) \vec{A} + ( \vec{A} \cdot \nabla ) \vec{B} + \vec{B} \times (\nabla \times \vec{A})+ \vec{A} \times ( \nabla \times \vec{B})$$ part but this is the best I could get

Scan.jpg
At this point I'm even willing to learn a totaly new method .. I have an exam tomorrow and this is the only one I can't get right.​

Physics news on Phys.org
Xsnac said:

Homework Statement

I'm trying to derive the vector identity:
$$\nabla(\vec{A} \cdot \vec{B})$$
This isn't an identity. Identities generally have equal signs in them.

Homework Equations

$$ \nabla(\vec{A} \cdot \vec{B})=(\vec{B} \cdot \nabla) \vec{A} + ( \vec{A} \cdot \nabla ) \vec{B} + \vec{B} \times (\nabla \times \vec{A})+ \vec{A} \times ( \nabla \times \vec{B})$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to do it using analytical methods and I think I hit a dead end.
I tried everything, even the reverse start from the $$(\vec{B} \cdot \nabla) \vec{A} + ( \vec{A} \cdot \nabla ) \vec{B} + \vec{B} \times (\nabla \times \vec{A})+ \vec{A} \times ( \nabla \times \vec{B})$$ part but this is the best I could get

Scan.jpg
At this point I'm even willing to learn a totaly new method .. I have an exam tomorrow and this is the only one I can't get right.​
Speaking personally, I'm not really prone to putting in the effort to follow your chicken scratches. Why don't you try organizing your work in digestible chunks and posting it in LaTeX.

vela said:
This isn't an identity. Identities generally have equal signs in them.Speaking personally, I'm not really prone to putting in the effort to follow your chicken scratches. Why don't you try organizing your work in digestible chunks and posting it in LaTeX.

I don't have 3 hours to format a text... I'm practicing for tomorrow's exam... I put a lot of effort to write the small pieces of latex code in this post aswel. (forgot all the syntax and got to relearn it today..)
And I'm looking for some other way since mine I think is a dead-end.

Well, the approach you're taking is the one I would use. Omit the unit vector stuff. It just clutters up the derivation.

What is the vector identity for $\nabla(\vec{A} \cdot \vec{B})$?

The vector identity for $\nabla(\vec{A} \cdot \vec{B})$ is given by $\vec{A} \times (\nabla \times \vec{B}) + \vec{B} \times (\nabla \times \vec{A}) + (\vec{A} \cdot \nabla)\vec{B} + (\vec{B} \cdot \nabla)\vec{A}$.

What is the physical significance of the vector identity for $\nabla(\vec{A} \cdot \vec{B})$?

The vector identity for $\nabla(\vec{A} \cdot \vec{B})$ represents the relationship between the gradient, curl, and dot product of two vector fields. It is useful in electromagnetic theory and fluid dynamics to describe the behavior of vector fields in three-dimensional space.

How is the vector identity for $\nabla(\vec{A} \cdot \vec{B})$ derived?

The vector identity for $\nabla(\vec{A} \cdot \vec{B})$ can be derived using the properties of the dot product and the curl, as well as vector calculus identities such as the product rule and the triple product rule.

What is the geometric interpretation of the vector identity for $\nabla(\vec{A} \cdot \vec{B})$?

The vector identity for $\nabla(\vec{A} \cdot \vec{B})$ can be interpreted geometrically as the sum of the normal component of the cross product of two vector fields and the tangential component of the dot product of the two fields. This represents the relationship between the direction and magnitude of the vectors in the vector fields.

What are some applications of the vector identity for $\nabla(\vec{A} \cdot \vec{B})$?

The vector identity for $\nabla(\vec{A} \cdot \vec{B})$ has various applications in physics and engineering, such as in electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and computer graphics. It is also used in vector calculus to solve problems involving vector fields in three-dimensional space.