1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Mechanics, Interpretation of Problem

1. Jun 5, 2012 #1
    Hi there.

I am an Aerospave Engineering student, revisiting Vector Mechanics. My course recommended text book is "Vector Mechanics of Enginners, from Beer and Johnston". However, I have been complemeting with another book - " Methods of Analytical Dynamics, from Meirovitch". This book, treats Analytical Mechanics, which is beyond the scoop of my course. However, I am just reading the chapters concerning Motion relative to Rotating frames of reference and Rigid Body Dynamics.

Now, the Meirovitrch text book is way more theotytical. but I gave it a lot of time to correcclty interpert the subject. The thing is, sometimes, when I try to apply the Meivotich equations to the Beer and Jonhston multiple exercices, the results are incorrect! I feel rather frustrated, since I don't now why!

For example, in the attached file, there is on of those exercices I am refering.

If I assume there is a Reference Frame rotating with ω1, I can then compute the velocity and acceleration of point A correctly using the expressions given in the Meirovitch. (second attached file). In this case, the relative velocity of point A is ω2 * r.

However, if I imagine a Reference Frame Rotating with an angular velocity Ω = ω1 + ω2, then there would be no relative motion of the point A. The results(both the velocity and aceleration) using this rotating frame are incorrect. But, shouln't it work? I have carefully looked at the meirovith deductions, and I think it should!

Greatfull for any help!

Regards

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?