Vector Potential: -1/2 in Coulomb Gauge

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Coulomb gauge in a constant magnetic field and the presence of a -1/2 term in the expression for the curl of the vector potential. The speaker suggests expanding the right hand side to better understand the meaning of the symbols.
PhysicsGente
This is not a homework question but I think this is the best place to ask it.

I was reading a book on quantum mechanics and I came across this expression using the Coulomb gauge in a constant magnetic field,

[tex]\left(\vec{\nabla}\times\vec{A}\right)_{i} = \epsilon_{ijk}\partial_{j}\left(-\frac{1}{2}\epsilon_{kst}x_{s}B_{t}\right) [/tex]

But where is the -1/2 coming from?

Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicsGente said:
But where is the -1/2 coming from?

To see it, carry through the exercise of writing out the right hand side for a particular choice of the index ##i##.

(Alternately, you could make use of one of the identities of the the Levi-Civita symbol; but, if you are just getting familiar with this notation, I think it's a better exercise to expand the right hand side by thinking about the meaning of the symbols.)

Related to Vector Potential: -1/2 in Coulomb Gauge

1. What is the vector potential in Coulomb gauge?

The vector potential in Coulomb gauge is a mathematical concept used in electromagnetism to describe the magnetic vector potential. It is defined as -1/2 times the gradient of the electric scalar potential in Coulomb gauge.

2. Why is the vector potential in Coulomb gauge important?

The vector potential in Coulomb gauge is important because it simplifies the equations of electromagnetism, making them easier to solve. It also helps to eliminate the need for certain boundary conditions, making calculations more efficient.

3. What is the physical significance of the vector potential in Coulomb gauge?

The vector potential in Coulomb gauge represents the potential energy of a charged particle in an electromagnetic field. It also plays a crucial role in determining the magnetic field in a given system.

4. How is the vector potential in Coulomb gauge related to the Coulomb potential?

The vector potential in Coulomb gauge is related to the Coulomb potential by a factor of -1/2. This means that the vector potential is half the magnitude of the Coulomb potential, but in the opposite direction.

5. Is the vector potential in Coulomb gauge a physical quantity?

Yes, the vector potential in Coulomb gauge is a physical quantity. It is a fundamental concept in electromagnetism and is used to describe the behavior of charged particles in electromagnetic fields. It can also be measured and has real-world applications in various fields such as electrical engineering and physics.